19.5 Guard Dog tires - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 08:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
19.5 Guard Dog tires

Does anyone have any experience with them? I have read a few reviews but they were all light trucks and SUV's. I am curious how they perform on something like my 450. The price of $137 is crazy cheap.
https://www.treadwright.com/p-31-245...dog-m-t-g.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 11:15 PM

I don't know anything about that brand. I just put a set of set of Double Coin RLB490 265x70x19.5 on mine. They were reasonably priced although more than what you are looking at. So far I like them they have done well in the late spring snow storms that we can't seem to get rid of this year.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've always been a little leary of retreads.

Mark
Old 04-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Serving Our Country!

I had a set of Treadwrights on my dually, they were the Axiom A/T, but i only had them for 1 yr, the sidewalls were cracked so badly i was afraid to put any weight from my 5er on them. The customer service at Treadwright is 2nd to none, as soon as i informed them of the problem they requested pictures and were ready to send out a set (6) replacements, they said there was an ongoing problem with the core tires they had for that specific size. i was reluctant to go with another set of retreads on my tow vehicle so i was able to use the money i paid for the tires to get a set of retreads for my toy truck (long travel ranger for offroad only) if the tire fails while im playing in the dezert it will be much less severe than if im towing 14k at 60 down the interstate. Long story short, i would put them on a tow vehicle. I ended up with some Cooper Discoverer A/T from americas tire for 118 a piece, incredible deal.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I decided to buy a set of Cooper RM253 tires instead of the retreads. The truck sits quite a bit and I figure the tires will die of old age before they wear out. I figure the new tires would last longer age wise. I was also afraid of how loud the mud tread would be on the highway with the whole family couped up in the truck for hours at a time on vacation trips. Hopefully these coopers will work out. I got a size bigger that the stockers (245/70-r19.5) Thanks for the input.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:39 AM
Serving Our Country!

your welcome, i am very pleased with my Cooper Tires, and they are made in the U.S. those mud terrains would have been unbearable on the highway, my A/T's were very loud. and my thought process behind the tires sitting alot was very similar, that is why i didnt go with goodyears or michelins for twice as much $
Old 07-11-2013, 06:19 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickc View Post
I decided to buy a set of Cooper RM253 tires instead of the retreads. The truck sits quite a bit and I figure the tires will die of old age before they wear out. I figure the new tires would last longer age wise. I was also afraid of how loud the mud tread would be on the highway with the whole family couped up in the truck for hours at a time on vacation trips. Hopefully these coopers will work out. I got a size bigger that the stockers (245/70-r19.5) Thanks for the input.
I have the Coopers on my F550 right now and need a new set for the rear. I have Continental HSR in the front. How much and where did you get your new Coopers from? Im currently running 225-70-19.5 and would love to go with 245s to help tame these 4.88 cogs. Problem is my fronts are pretty new and its a 4x4 so I would need to same diameter for the front and rear. because of that I will more than likely stick with 225s and save the extra cost of getting new fronts when not needed. Thx!
Old 07-11-2013, 06:22 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350R View Post
I don't know anything about that brand. I just put a set of set of Double Coin RLB490 265x70x19.5 on mine. They were reasonably priced although more than what you are looking at. So far I like them they have done well in the late spring snow storms that we can't seem to get rid of this year.
I saw the Double Coin when looking for new tires. How are they holding up? I have heard good and bad, more bad unfortunatelyÖ. I could get all 6 for the same cost of just the rear if I went with Double Coin, however I donít want any problems with tires when haulin the 5th wheel around with the family.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:16 PM

I won't buy the Double Coins again ever. I haven't been able to get them to balance at speeds over 60. The dealer that sold them to me says he's working with Double Coin to get them swapped out but that doesn't take 4 months to get processed, so I know he's lying to me. If he doesn't start coming clean here soon I am going to start freely advertising for him his company and Double Coin. If your looking to buy here in the Denver area I will let you know where not to go. If you don't drive over 60 they seem like an ok tire.
I found mixed reviews on them also but seemed more towards the good than bad. But we all know hind sight is 20 / 20. The reviews I found were trucks and RV's all of which were 22.5 tires, maybe those are a better breed but I would rather doubt it. And of course RV's probably are mostly retirees that aren't traveling that fast anyway.

My previous set was Hankook DH01 they didn't wear as far as I thought they would but at least they were Always balanced right to the end, roughly 90K miles. I guess 90K isn't all that bad considering every where we go is at least one or more mountain passes. I run Dynabeads in almost every tire I own even my camper tires, never have had to rebalance anything except for these Double Coins. I even checked to make sure they are round and the worst one is only 3/16 out of round. Maybe that's enough to cause the balance problem I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty02 View Post
I saw the Double Coin when looking for new tires. How are they holding up? I have heard good and bad, more bad unfortunatelyÖ. I could get all 6 for the same cost of just the rear if I went with Double Coin, however I donít want any problems with tires when haulin the 5th wheel around with the family.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:51 AM
Premium Member

Hey Derickc pls tell me to go make a new thread here if you like, I hate to highjack but you have a few knowledgeable peeps already on it so I wanted to throw a few things out there.

After the bad reviews of the Double Coin I think Iím going to go with the Continental HDR tires for the rear. I currently have a newer set of Continental HSR tires up front and they seem to be wearing and aging very well. Now as far as balancing these tires, whatís the deal? I see you can obviously use weights, either stick on or the press on ones. I also see the beads, what the deal with these? What is recommended and what works? Thx!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.