Yet Another SRW to DRW conversion question. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 07:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to upd103 Send a message via Skype™ to upd103
Yet Another SRW to DRW conversion question.

OK. Sorry, but I've searched, so I'm going to throw it out there anyways.

I am exploring the possibility of converting to DRW as the title says. Right now, I'm not towing anything real heavy, but we are about to increase the size of the horse trailer to a full living quarter trailer.

My question is this. I am not looking to drastically increase the weight rating of the axle or capacity, but I am just looking for more stability when we get the new trailer. I've pulled Full LQ horse trailers before, and you can definitely feel a little sway back there going down the road.

My options are obviously to find a Dana 80 and get the larger capacity and brakes etc, or I can just do wheel adapters. I'm thinking that the adapters will be just fine for my needs since I'm already in a 1 ton, and I'm not looking at having a ton of weight on it. If I go full D80 then I'm gonna have to re-gear the fronts too since I'm not a 4.10 right now. I'm thinking it's going to just be more trouble than it's worth.

As for the bed, I'm just going to go with a full skirted flat bed since it will be more practical for me any ways. So selling the factory bed will get me close to that replacement.

Do y'all agree that the adapters are likely the best choice for my needs, or am I completely off with my thinking and need to be put in check? LOL

Thanks in advance and God bless,

-David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 07:07 AM

Re: Yet Another SRW to DRW conversion question.

Does your truck have the sterling 10.25? Or is it a d60 rear?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-25-2013, 07:13 AM

Pretty sure it's the 10.25". But I'm in Afghanistan, and I can't check for sure til I get home.

I thought all the 08-10 SRW 350's had the 10.25 in them. Am I wrong there too?

****EDIT
Actually, I'm reading it's the 10.5" now. Upgraded from the 10.25"

Last edited by upd103; 03-25-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:22 AM

Re: Yet Another SRW to DRW conversion question.

Which means your rear axle is bigger then a d80. I wouldn't do any converting. These sterling axles are bullet proof. I have the 10.25 and I pull horse trailers all the way up to flatbeds with vehicles on it. Just food for thought. You wouldn't have a problem selling that sterling if you do. Most off road, mud, or crawler guys kill over sterlings.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:25 AM

OK. Well the 10.5" and spacers it will likely be then.

You think I'll be giving up much strength with the spacers? They will definitely be the weak link at that point I think.

I'm not worried about the spacers in the front since that's how the factory gets the width. Just worried about how much strength I lose widening the rear a couple of inches.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:45 AM

I'll throw in my opinion.

Don't cheap out. Do it the right way, I think it will be easier in the end. And if you ever sell it, I think you would be able to get more of your money back.

OBS trucks had the 10.25 rear
SD trucks have the 10.5
DRW trucks have the Dana 80

The Dana 80 is the heaviest of the 3 axles. If you're lucky, you could find one with 3.73s in it already.

Where I think you might run into a problem just throwing spacers on the SRW axle is that the Dana 80 is 1.5" or so wider to start with. I don't think it would cause a tire to rub anywhere, but it might. If you're getting a flat bed built I think it would be ok. After all, the cab/chassis trucks rear axle was even shorter. I don't know by how much though.

If you decide to keep the SRW axle and use spacers. Don't buy cheap spacers. There are quite a few on here who will only use Fred's spacers. When I get spacers, I will get mine from him. WheelAdapter.com Don't forget to add the cost of shipping... For me it would have been over $70. In your case, buying a Dana 80 might work out to be the same price, but you end up with a stronger axle.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj Krawler View Post
I'll throw in my opinion.

Don't cheap out. Do it the right way, I think it will be easier in the end. And if you ever sell it, I think you would be able to get more of your money back.

OBS trucks had the 10.25 rear
SD trucks have the 10.5
DRW trucks have the Dana 80

The Dana 80 is the heaviest of the 3 axles. If you're lucky, you could find one with 3.73s in it already.

Where I think you might run into a problem just throwing spacers on the SRW axle is that the Dana 80 is 1.5" or so wider to start with. I don't think it would cause a tire to rub anywhere, but it might. If you're getting a flat bed built I think it would be ok. After all, the cab/chassis trucks rear axle was even shorter. I don't know by how much though.

If you decide to keep the SRW axle and use spacers. Don't buy cheap spacers. There are quite a few on here who will only use Fred's spacers. When I get spacers, I will get mine from him. WheelAdapter.com Don't forget to add the cost of shipping... For me it would have been over $70. In your case, buying a Dana 80 might work out to be the same price, but you end up with a stronger axle.
OK. Thanks for the information. And Thank You very much for Fred's link. I guess I will hit up Pick a Part when I get back Stateside and see what I can find. Hoping brake lines and the majority of the small stuff will not be much of an issue.

Thanks
-David
Old 03-25-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upd103 View Post
OK. Thanks for the information. And Thank You very much for Fred's link. I guess I will hit up Pick a Part when I get back Stateside and see what I can find. Hoping brake lines and the majority of the small stuff will not be much of an issue.

Thanks
-David
No problem.

I have not heard of the brake lines being a problem. As far as I know, the spring mounts should be a direct bolt in. Unless you get a C&C axle.

EDIT: Make sure you match the axle bolt pattern to the front if you do go with a Dana 80. They changed from 8x170mm to 8x200mm in '05. I think the '08s are 8x200mm as well.

Last edited by Tj Krawler; 03-25-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

Good luck on the build!

Tom
Old 03-25-2013, 06:18 PM

Maybe just put a set of 19.5 rims and tires on what already have. That will also give you a lot of stability with G or H rated tires. I recently replaced the worn out 245x70x19.5 G rated tires with 265x70x19.5 H rated tires. Other than being taller there's no ride quality difference. I also replaced worn out Bilstein shocks and installed a 2.5 leveling kit. 19.5 tires are not cheap but they are very stable and wear a lot longer that the smaller tires.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.