New to Ford's, new to Diesels - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to Ford's, new to Diesels

Hi guys, I've been driving Nissan Titans for the last 6 years -- please don't hate me -- but the DW and I can't find a fifth wheel we like in our weight class.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2006 F-350 dually with FX4. Here's a link to the truck: 2006 Ford F350 Pictures and Photo Gallery at CarMax.com

I've been reading carefully in here and think I have a good understanding of the potential problems with the PSD. The truck has 52K miles on it. According to the Oasis report it had a turbo replaced in 2007, but that's it. Nothing else on the report.

I bought a scangauge II for the test-drive (it's being transferred from Nashville this week). During my test drive I plan to heat it up and have a look at the FCIM voltage and the ECT/EOT delta.

My question is -- and I know there's no guarantees -- with a very clean Oasis, and assuming the scangauge doesn't report any impending conditions, do you think I've got a good buy here?

Thanks in advance. Never owned a diesel and I'm a bit apprehensive. I used to work on cars when in was a kid. Haven't turned a wrench since that last head job on a Rambler classic 20 years ago. Think I can handle this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
to powerstroke.org first of all.

I'd love to tell you you're getting a great buy here but there's no guarantee like you say.

Looks can be very deceiving with this particular truck. Thing is, and correct me if I'm wrong here someone, that the truck is out of warranty by date which means all repairs may not show up on oasis.

I'm not saying not to buy it just be very apprehensive and aware of the potential for serious problems. 52k is pretty low miles for this rig depending on original DOP...I know there are exceptions to the rule but it's questionable.

Definitely strike the best deal you can and if possible find another .org member near you that is willing to take some time to help scope it out. After all, we're all here for the same reason. Good luck
Old 08-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews

I bought an 03 with 60k on it last year.....

Should have thought it through that most of the time it was sitting in the shop as it is a PROBLEM CHILD

But if you check it over carefully you should be fine
Old 08-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the backup homie!!!
Old 08-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Good points to bring up guys. I appreciate that.

I've studied enough in here to know what to look for on the scan gauge. If I see a delta between ECT/EOT greater than 15 I'm going to insist that the dealership replace the oil cooler or I won't buy it. If the FCIM voltage doesn't look healthy I'll make them replace that as well.

If I buy it, first mod its getting will be a coolant filter to stop any potential damage to the oil cooler/ERG system.

I'm also going to take it to a Ford dealership and get the latest flash that sweeps the vanes on idle. And I'll give it the high idle mod as well.

Any other suggestions you guys can offer? Appreciate your advice, thanks in advance.

-Jim
Old 08-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Man. I'll sale you my 04 dually but its lifted 6" and rides on 35's. Has all the good stuff done too.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, but not exactly what I'm looking for. :-)
Old 08-02-2012, 06:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Haha. I hear ya. I may just return it to stock and list it in the classifieds. Or leave it the way it is and include all the stuff to return it back to stock. Extra wheels too.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_p_price View Post
Good points to bring up guys. I appreciate that.

If I buy it, first mod its getting will be a coolant filter to stop any potential damage to the oil cooler/ERG system.

-Jim
Why not take the money from the coolant filter setup and put it towards an egr delete to eliminate that problem immediately? Just sayin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wick89gt View Post
Haha. I hear ya. I may just return it to stock and list it in the classifieds. Or leave it the way it is and include all the stuff to return it back to stock. Extra wheels too.
What extra wheels ya got? pm please so we don't hijack
Old 08-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

[QUOTE=7.34ever;3189501]Why not take the money from the coolant filter setup and put it towards an egr delete to eliminate that problem immediately? Just sayin...

From everything I've researched, it all starts with coolant (and casting sand) slowly plugging the oil cooler, resulting in higher oil temps. As a lovely side benefit, coolant flow is restricted to the EGR system which screws that system up too. The grand finale is losing head gaskets.

So to me, the first priority is stopping further damage from ocurring. Then I'll do an EGR delete, and if I get lucky, I won't have to replace the oil cooler - yet.

Is this a bad strategy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.