lifting a dually... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
lifting a dually...

OK, here I stand deciding what to do. I was contemplating making my truck a single wheel and going big with it. But now, I am leaning towards lifting it and keeping the 35" tires. Soooo....brings me to this. Ii just got off the phone with rough country. I was going to do an 8" lift and be done. Well, with the dually it kinda limits my tire size to a 35 which would look kinda silly maybe. So he talked me into a 6" kit. Its offered in an all spring package for 1200 and taking 75 off for the U bolts cause I will have to get a set made for the rear axle. Or, 875 for a spring front and block rear. So, where I am now is deciding what would be better and i want to turn to fellow lifted dually owners and get their input. My truck is an '04 by the way. Should I option out the kit with extras like better shocks, front stabilizer, dual front stabilizer blah blah.

Thanks for the input fellas!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 10:45 AM

After talking with a few companies..I'm at a choice now. I think i am going to go with BDS for the kit. 6" now, I need some insight with which one. I can do a block/add a leaf rear and spring front or all the way around spring kit. Obviously we all know which is cheaper. I don't tow much and drive the truck every day. Any suggestions in which I should get? Possible reasons to support the answer would be greatly appreciated. Kinda like pros/cons so to speak.

Last edited by wick89gt; 06-10-2012 at 04:39 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:57 PM

Anybody??....
Old 06-09-2012, 05:03 PM

duallys are traction kings and that added block stacked with the OEM is not my fav

look at precision metal fab for a block that isn't a stack with the oem
and they have may options on how to lock it in better than stock .

I do not have a dually but still opted to loose all blocks and go with springs and Traction bars because I do tow.

,, the all spring will ride a little rougher ICON or Deaver rear/ front is a softer spring ,, but may wrap a little more on acceleration ? ,,
I also like the Rancho adjustable shocks for tuning .

the bad thing about mixing lift parts is you might need to fine tune the front or rear to get the ride height you like ,, and then the dually tire limitations on tires or using a spacer so the tires do not touch
Old 06-09-2012, 05:07 PM

the possibilities are endless lol

lifted dually - Google Search
Old 06-09-2012, 05:14 PM

Well...I already have the 35's now with the 2" good spacers. I can't spell his name. Goeske? ? I just want the "proper" way of lifting it with no problems. The bds kit is looking at around 2000.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:15 PM
The Silent Service

8" lift looks right for around a 37"x12.5" tire, had a co-worker who's '03 truck stood tall under that setup, and he had plans to go bigger/taller. If you are doing 35's, you can get away with a 4" or 6" setup depending on what stance you want out of the truck.

I'd suggest fully replacing the springs in the front, along with all the proper steering linkages. This is really the only way to the front right maintaining the leaf springs.

For the rear, add-a-leafs are fine as long as you don't mind a stiffer ride. If you are going for adding lift via a block, do yourself a favor, and get a set of traction bars made with the right block height built on. This will eliminate the axle wrap issues, and allow for the strongest linkage between the springs and axle.

Spacers are another concern. Depending on how you want to accomplish this truck and the look you want when you are done. The co-workers '03 would rub on the front under the stock dually rim with 37's, he went with a decent offset stock set of rims of the same 8x170mm bolt pattern to correct that. He had stock dually rims in the rear with a 2" spacer, and did not tow anything over 4K. That configuration worked well for him. If you tow much more, I would suggest looking at a 2.5" spacer, or running a narrower tire.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:15 PM

Ahh yes I know those spacers ,, they are the best

so your just having some clearance issues with your existing height ?
Old 06-09-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
Ahh yes I know those spacers ,, they are the best

so your just having some clearance issues with your existing height ?
Haha. Yes. The good ones...

No clearance issues. Just Lookin for a higher rig now. Figured on doing 4" but the 6" is almost the same cost.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
8" lift looks right for around a 37"x12.5" tire, had a co-worker who's '03 truck stood tall under that setup, and he had plans to go bigger/taller. If you are doing 35's, you can get away with a 4" or 6" setup depending on what stance you want out of the truck.

I'd suggest fully replacing the springs in the front, along with all the proper steering linkages. This is really the only way to the front right maintaining the leaf springs.

For the rear, add-a-leafs are fine as long as you don't mind a stiffer ride. If you are going for adding lift via a block, do yourself a favor, and get a set of traction bars made with the right block height built on. This will eliminate the axle wrap issues, and allow for the strongest linkage between the springs and axle.

Spacers are another concern. Depending on how you want to accomplish this truck and the look you want when you are done. The co-workers '03 would rub on the front under the stock dually rim with 37's, he went with a decent offset stock set of rims of the same 8x170mm bolt pattern to correct that. He had stock dually rims in the rear with a 2" spacer, and did not tow anything over 4K. That configuration worked well for him. If you tow much more, I would suggest looking at a 2.5" spacer, or running a narrower tire.
I haven't really seen any size in 37" that would work and i just ordered 6 new 35's. Damn!! When you say stock wheel with different offset, can you elaborate please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.