Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

lifting a dually...

12K views 36 replies 5 participants last post by  wick89gt 
#1 ·
OK, here I stand deciding what to do. I was contemplating making my truck a single wheel and going big with it. But now, I am leaning towards lifting it and keeping the 35" tires. Soooo....brings me to this. Ii just got off the phone with rough country. I was going to do an 8" lift and be done. Well, with the dually it kinda limits my tire size to a 35 which would look kinda silly maybe. So he talked me into a 6" kit. Its offered in an all spring package for 1200 and taking 75 off for the U bolts cause I will have to get a set made for the rear axle. Or, 875 for a spring front and block rear. So, where I am now is deciding what would be better and i want to turn to fellow lifted dually owners and get their input. My truck is an '04 by the way. Should I option out the kit with extras like better shocks, front stabilizer, dual front stabilizer blah blah.

Thanks for the input fellas!!

#2 · (Edited)
After talking with a few companies..I'm at a choice now. I think i am going to go with BDS for the kit. 6" now, I need some insight with which one. I can do a block/add a leaf rear and spring front or all the way around spring kit. Obviously we all know which is cheaper. I don't tow much and drive the truck every day. Any suggestions in which I should get? Possible reasons to support the answer would be greatly appreciated. Kinda like pros/cons so to speak.

#4 ·
duallys are traction kings and that added block stacked with the OEM is not my fav

look at precision metal fab for a block that isn't a stack with the oem
and they have may options on how to lock it in better than stock .

I do not have a dually but still opted to loose all blocks and go with springs and Traction bars because I do tow.

,, the all spring will ride a little rougher ICON or Deaver rear/ front is a softer spring ,, but may wrap a little more on acceleration ? ,,
I also like the Rancho adjustable shocks for tuning .

the bad thing about mixing lift parts is you might need to fine tune the front or rear to get the ride height you like ,, and then the dually tire limitations on tires or using a spacer so the tires do not touch

#7 ·
8" lift looks right for around a 37"x12.5" tire, had a co-worker who's '03 truck stood tall under that setup, and he had plans to go bigger/taller. If you are doing 35's, you can get away with a 4" or 6" setup depending on what stance you want out of the truck.

I'd suggest fully replacing the springs in the front, along with all the proper steering linkages. This is really the only way to the front right maintaining the leaf springs.

For the rear, add-a-leafs are fine as long as you don't mind a stiffer ride. If you are going for adding lift via a block, do yourself a favor, and get a set of traction bars made with the right block height built on. This will eliminate the axle wrap issues, and allow for the strongest linkage between the springs and axle.

Spacers are another concern. Depending on how you want to accomplish this truck and the look you want when you are done. The co-workers '03 would rub on the front under the stock dually rim with 37's, he went with a decent offset stock set of rims of the same 8x170mm bolt pattern to correct that. He had stock dually rims in the rear with a 2" spacer, and did not tow anything over 4K. That configuration worked well for him. If you tow much more, I would suggest looking at a 2.5" spacer, or running a narrower tire.

#11 ·
The offset on the SRW rim, is much different than the DRW. Should have phrased that differently. He used a stock SRW rim, I'm not sure if he removed the DRW spacers in the front or not though.

#13 ·
I just finished doing my lift. I also just bought new 35" tires last summer and went ahead with 7/8" lift anyways. When the time comes for new tires I will get 37's most likely.

#16 ·
I have a thread in the 6.4 general section, with pics. I can post a pic here if you like..

I used Trevor- PMF for everything, but yeah coil sprung so a bit different than your build.

#20 ·
Actually, the '05+ coils handle a bit better, if you can get a kit to get the control arms and brakets. It may be something to look into further, and it will give you more lateral clearance.

#22 ·
I have never done it (05 up already have coils ) but plenty have .. you might want to do a new thread I think you have to have both axles and thats where I stopped paying attention lol
but the turning radius on the SRW is improved because the leaf springs aren't in the way of the tires at full lock .. not sure on a DRW because of the spacer they run ?
but the ride is reportedly much better

just throwing it out there since it's yet another choice

#26 ·
I'm runnin a full 6" spring kit with dual shocks front, steer stabilizer, and 315/75-16s on the stock wheels and my 03 rides and drives like a dream.

Almost did a big rig conv but it rides so nice on the 16 wheels vs the 20s with 35s on my other duty that I decided to stay with em. Love my lifted dually!

#29 ·
I will take some pics and post later. Not sure but I THINK the springs are Skyjacker.....I bought the truck lifted. I'll check and see if I can get any info off the parts.

99% sure the dual shock hoops are Skyjacker but I just had to put new shocks on it and I went with RMX x-treme lifetime warranty shocks. They ride great and the warranty is unbeatable.

It has 3" spacers in the rear and some sweet custom mud flap hangers so the flaps cover the whole tire(cause here in WA we can get a dumba$$ ticket for tires stickin out too far).

#31 ·
Here's a few pics of the stuff you probably wanna see. Couldn't find anything on the springs to tell the mfr.:dunno:

There's a couple pics of stance, couple pics of front shocks/hoops, and rear pic on pass side for tire spacing. I also took a few more of the rear suspension and flap hangers if you wanna see em....lmk

Make sure if ya go with dual shock hoops that you have the top shock bolt in before bolting to the truck frame. I had a helluva time with the top bolt when I replaced the shocks recently with lining up the bracket and hoop and had to loosen everything up anyway. Also the inner fender tends to be in the way of that long azz bolt too.

Attachments

#33 ·
Agreed, I love it! Really never thought I'd own a 2 tone rig but it took me hostage instantly. lol

There's a couple other things I say to consider it would be traction bars. I'm takin the bars off my 02 to put on the dually cause it's the one I use to tow. with 4 tires diggin' back there and a 17-18k 5er......good idea. Also, air bags to go with the hi arch springs for sure!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.