F350 DRW vs F450 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F350 DRW vs F450

For the guys who have had both, how would you compare them?
I had a 2003 F350 DRW and miss the look. I have a 2008 F250 now and am always looking to upgrade as I make lots of miles, using the truck as my daily driver and as a work truck - one of my friends has an 08 F350 SRW KR and another has 08 or 09 F450. Both dont drive them much and they are in showroom condition, and will probably pick up one, or the other, or neither, depending on timing. I usually end up passing my trucks down the ranks, either to be used on our farm or construction business.
We currently have an F550 but its a 2wd and really heavily loaded. Also, a 3500 GMC dually...
Looking for some feedback on the F450 as to how it is as a daily driver when not being used for work. I know the size issue, but the ride, etc.
Any other comments are very much appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I drive an 08 F-450 and am quite happy with it. The turning radious alone was what made me go with the 450. The wider front axle alows the wheels to be turned at a ridiculous angle. It turns sharper than the shortbed chevy crew that I traded for it. As for the ride, I run the rear tires at 40psi when empty and it makes a big difference. Mine has the 4.30 gears so it's not too bad on the highway. I would imagine the 4.88 gears would be crazy on the open road. I like the truck and it looks just different enough to stand out from the countless 350s out there.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the info - is the wide front axle standard or optional? How would one tell which one a truck has?
I used to play with air pressures when empty on my F350 DRW as well to make the ride more pleasant.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow View Post
For the guys who have had both, how would you compare them?
I had a 2003 F350 DRW and miss the look. I have a 2008 F250 now and am always looking to upgrade as I make lots of miles, using the truck as my daily driver and as a work truck - one of my friends has an 08 F350 SRW KR and another has 08 or 09 F450. Both dont drive them much and they are in showroom condition, and will probably pick up one, or the other, or neither, depending on timing. I usually end up passing my trucks down the ranks, either to be used on our farm or construction business.
We currently have an F550 but its a 2wd and really heavily loaded. Also, a 3500 GMC dually...
Looking for some feedback on the F450 as to how it is as a daily driver when not being used for work. I know the size issue, but the ride, etc.
Any other comments are very much appreciated...
I have made a few adjustment on my 450.
1. The truck is used to haul a 5500 slide on camper, and tow a 16ft enclosed trailer on a regular basis.
2 When not in the configuration above she is a DD when the weather is bad on good days it is a Goldwing 1800.
3. She does some heavy towing locally, tractors and small crawlers, biggest load behind was 23K.

Mods,:
Stock truck got 10mpg on a good day frequent regens and all. Deleted the DOC DPF and added a 5inch sewer pipe. Mileage is consistantly 16 mpg now empty and anywhere between 16-9mpg loaded. Camper and trailer it hovers around 12.

Suspension in this thing stock is brutal empty, throw 4k# in the back and it is much better but sags a bunch. Installed a Kelderman air ride system with an Accuair controller. Now she stay level ( ride height) no matter what is in the bed or on the hitch. Empty ride is much improved.

Deleted the EGR and added a FASS fuel pump/filter. Improved mielage by 2mopg overall.

Yes the wheel cut is much more improved over the 250/350 35 degrees it is 45 degrees contributing to a shorter turning radius. The Wide track axle is available in the 350 dually as well. Look for the fender flares up front.

Down side:
Truck weigh in at 9900# empty.
GVW is 14,200 which makes it a class 4 rig there for considered commercial by insurance companies. My insurance went up by 2.5X with a perfect record
pre 11 rigs are shod with 19.5 wheels, tires are $$$$$ and largest I would fit on the stock wheels are 265/70R19.5s there recommended minimum width is 6.75. the 265s are about 600-700 each and a load range G. At pressure that is 5400# capacity per tire!

Suspension maintenance is a bit tricky as well the dealer can do most stuff but most can't deal with the rear axle due to the tools required.

If you just want the look buy a 350 duallie and fit larger wheel/tires. You will like the ride better and it will be cheaper.

As a work truck the 450 is a beast and very capable. I put 2 pallets of wall stone (5K#) on a while back and the air ride kept the truck level and we hauled down the road like there was nothing in the bed.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:48 AM
Premium Member

It may be a very silly question, but does the Kelderman help smooth out the ride at all even when you are running empty?
Thanks
~Mike~
Old 04-07-2012, 06:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes the Kelderman makes the ride very nice! Love mine on my dodge and my new f-350 should be here next week with it already installed on it. One of my favorite mods I do. I love being able to drop the air when hooking up to trailers.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the reply.
Boy oh boy, I looked up the Keldermans on their site and they want $1700.00.
And that is even before you get the air system.
If anyone has a better place to get this set-up I am "all ears"
Old 04-09-2012, 04:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I did the full setup with an accuride control system. Total for the 4 link and the front bags was just shy of $8k.

Stay a way from Bag it.

STAY AWAY FROM BAG IT.

Ride quality is 1st rate. Empty ride is much improved no bone jarring hitsanymore. Loaded withteh ride height control is some of the best stuff I have seen. Ride is out of this world even with G load range tires on.

I would not hesite to do this again! It is the best mod you can do to your 450P/U.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:34 AM
Premium Member

It might be wise for me to save my ducks and do this. I will start DD'ing with this rig soon, and the money, from what you said sounds worth it.
Have you got pics of your MOD by chance.
I would really like to see it.
~Mike~
Old 04-09-2012, 08:40 AM
Premium Member

I was just going to mention. The wife and I drove mine from Seattle to Denver one year unloaded.
HOLY COW!!!!!
Wyoming roads "Beat our Booty"
I understand why you did the bags.
~Mike
~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.