Larger than stock tire wear - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Larger than stock tire wear

I've got a 2000 f350 dually 4x4 that I'm planning to level or lift. I've had the truck for 9 years and it's time for a makeover. I've been reading this forum for a while and think I have a handle on what it's going to take to get what I want. I'll get some 2" spacers from Fred for sure.

I thought 255/86-16 is what I'd get for rubber but there are not a lot of choices out there. I'm thinking of going to 305 or 315's but I'm concerned about the 6" rim width. Main use of the truck is towing a 9500lb jeboat around.

For those that have the wide tires how do they wear and what kind of life can I expect out of them?

And should I be concerned about having that wide of a tire on such a narrow rim?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 07:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you go much wider than stock you will need spacers for the back. There is a few that run the 315/75/R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac. I've heard they wear very good with 10-12k on them. The centers will wear down a little quicker due to being forced on a 6" rim. IIRC you need to use balancing beads, because standard wheel weights can fly off due to the wide tire/skinny rim. I would prefer them anyways because tire is always perfectly balanced. I was planning on running the 315/75 Duratrac's. They're big enough to get the RPM's down and totally changes the look of the truck. They're also one of the cheaper bigger A/T tires out there at $250 each. I may be going 37s though, because I found out I have 4.30 gears. Probably not because 37s aren't cheap...
Old 01-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah' I'll get 2" spacer's regardless. I've got 4.10's and the 255's shouldn't bother my towing much. I see several guys here that tow more than I do with 35's or more. I've got a chip so I don't think power is an issue and I'd send the chip back to get re-calibrated for the bigger tires.

I guess I'm just a tight-wad and I don't want to buy tires too often. I'm also a little cautious on the wide tires on the narrow rims which I'll likely replace. I'm running Toyo m-55's in the the 235 size now and have about 30K on the fronts and 60k on the rear. This fall it will be time to change them all out. I'm leaning toward the Zone-offroad leveling kit vs a full on lift but I also want a tire that is readily available. Love the truck and it's paid for so no reason to get rid of it. Besides it's not often you see a lifted dually around here and I've always wanted a lifted truck. No more camper or wife so I can do whatever.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:09 PM

Mine has 315s and I love them so far. Truck looks great and they really help on the highway

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.