Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What are you 19.5 guys using for a front snow tire?

8K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Metalingus 
#1 ·
Chunky tires for the drive axle aren't a problem. But what do you guys like for the front? I have retreads on the rear for now and the tread seems like it'll do ok. I'm probably underestimating them anyway. But for the front, I want a 12 ply with some reasonably deep tread for good traction on snow and ice(for when it actually does snow and ice here in NorVa). I don't know the DOT implications, as I haven't been able to find any, but can I legally run a "drive" tire on the steering axle? I don't see why not and I understand the differences as it applies to the commercial world. I also don't drive this thing every day so tire wear won't be an issue. I found some Cooper RM253's that look to fit the bill perfectly but would like to see if any of you know if I can legally put those on the front(they are considered a "drive tire") without issue. Throw some opinions at me.

#2 ·
I have about 50K on Hankook DH01 they grip really well in the snow and ice, lock in the hubs, drop it into 4x4 and go.

#3 ·
I have Dynatraks on the front but have not tried them in snow yet so I dont know how they will do.

#4 ·
Goodyear G622s all around. Bit noisy, but take the 450 anywhere it needs to go, really GOOD in the snow.

No Lift Kit and no spacers (I think as wide as I could go without a spacer)

They will run about 130 degrees on a long highway run on the top of the tread and about 200 degrees in the very valleys of the tread in 80 degree heat on the heat gun - very consistently.

I've put these on a lot of the 4x4 Tow Trucks I was associated with in New England.

I think they are wearing just a little quick for my liking (I need a rotation front to back in a bad way, but the last tire company scratched my aluminum rims so I got to find another company that will do these - probably a ways away from me geographically, wish I had a tire machine)

My tire guys told me they're getting hard to come by though...

#5 ·
Factory Continentals on my F450....real similar to those Goodyears. Works well so far.

#7 ·
I'm running custom grooved and studded 35.5" tires. (285/70r 19.5)
Since the stock tires are 'grooveable' there seems to be no reason you couldn't check with a local shop that regrooves semi truck tires and see if he will give you some grooves in your current tires.

While we all know duallys are not all that great in snow any way, these tires are a HUGE improvement over the crappy stock tires during the winter!! (also these tires looked simular as stock front tires in the tread patteren before groving)
During the winter, I can go in rear wheel drive now where places I needed 4X 4 just to get around before. Much safer all around while day to day winter driving and towing snowmachines to go out and play.

#8 ·
Cost is an issue right now which is why I have retreads on the back. I'm gonna go with the Coopers on the fromm as thy seam reasonably prices at about $260 a piece. Hopefully next year I can get them on the back, too, for a matched set. Then traction won't be an issue. My fronts now are just not worth anything g as they've been plugged and are pretty worn down. Now that the front axle is done, I can address the egr coolers. Hopefully the bad weather will hold out until I can get the proper tires. Then my biggest problem will be selling my old ones. Heck, I still have the two NEW retreads they I bought but couldn't use still sitting in my garage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.