Source of my clunk solved. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 01:19 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Source of my clunk solved.

The idiot before me, i.e. : the original owner, has changed axle gears on only ONE axle and the mf'er didn't have the decency to tell me ahead of time. I've been on the phone with Purvis Ford since I dropped off the truck an hour ago, who surprisingly already have it in the shop. The original 4.88's are in the front while is has been discovered the rear has 4.10's. So now I'm forced to pay for a gear swap. I'll put the 4.10's up front, I don't have a problem with that. I'd like to know what to expect cost wise. It's an '08 450. What cost range can I expect with a gear swap? I've never had to have one done so I have no idea, but the dealer service writer has already said I could probably get it done cheaper than they can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

not sure on cost ask the dealer, ur gonna get nice highway mileage now with 4.10s
Old 11-02-2011, 10:24 AM

Don't know what a dealer will charge, but with gears and install kit, as long there is not a carrier break. I would charge about 800-900
Old 11-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1028 View Post
Don't know what a dealer will charge, but with gears and install kit, as long there is not a carrier break. I would charge about 800-900
That'll equate to about $2,800 in dealership money's.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skew12 View Post
That'll equate to about $2,800 in dealership money's.
LOL!! That's about right. Only about a 3-4 hr job, unless there are other problems.

I would get aftermarket gears, Yukon, superior, precision. Gears from the dealer are high $$$. Should be a straight forward install, it's just a dana 60.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1028 View Post
There is a break. The original gear is 4.88. I'll let y'all know what I'm quoted as I make my calls. I'll be shopping around over the next two weeks. I need this done now. There's some places near my house. I'm also open to suggestions for shops in and around northern Va.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalingus View Post
There is a break. The original gear is 4.88. I'll let y'all know what I'm quoted as I make my calls. I'll be shopping around over the next two weeks. I need this done now. There's some places near my house. I'm also open to suggestions for shops in and around northern Va.
Well I did a little digging and I forgot it was a super 60 in the 450's. 10" ring gear instead of the normal 9.5" 60 gear. I looked on Randy's ring and pinion and it's $700 without the carrier. So I'm sure your looking at $1000 just in parts.

I would suggest local 4x4, off road, or driveline shops. You can get some of the money back by selling the 4.88's and the carrier.

Good luck
Old 11-07-2011, 04:14 PM

Dropped off the truck today for the front gear change. Took it to a shop recommended by my neighbor who owns his own shop. I was worried to death but the guy pretty much made all my dreams come true. Out the door I'm estimated to be around $1500-1700. As soon as he told me that, I gave him the key and called for a ride home. There's even a possibility it'll go a few dollars less. The r/p was quoted at only $225. Nice. I'll let you know when I get it back. It'll be so nice to be able to use my 4wd switch finally.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:13 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Metalingus,

What kind of RPMs are you turning at 65 with the 4:10s? I have been debating the gear swap, or an overdrive. And how is your mileage on the calculator (not the Lie - o - Meter) if you've done it?

In OC, CA, traffic moves bumper to bumper at 80mph and as soon as I get over 2000 rpms (63mph) I can almost see the gas needle physically moving to E. I am constantly in the slow lane trying to hold it down to keep the fuel mileage up (governor-ed at 73mph anyway). On a long trip at just under 2000 rpm or less I can get 16mpg, at 22-2300 I get 8-9mpg....
Old 11-10-2011, 10:35 AM

4.10's with 255/70r19.5's and a .71 overdrive will get you 2000 rpm going 65.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.