Contemplation station.... What to do??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Post Contemplation station.... What to do???

Ok guys, here's my dilema.

My current truck is an '02 F250 CCLB with 7.3 lifted with F350 springs lifted, 35s, bla, bla, bla. I own it outright. My '10 Raptor toyhauler 5th wheel weighs just under 13k dry with 2800# hitch weight. Obviously I wasn't paying attention to GCWR/GAWR/etc when I made the purchase... my bad

I know the truck ISN'T rated for it.... I KNOW!!!!! That's not what I'm here to talk about. I'll layout 3 scenarios for ya and I'd like some feedback to help make my decision. Anything will help.

#1 - (The wife) Spend 15-20k on an older tow rig like a Freightliner or International with bout 26k gross and let it sit in the driveway until I need to move the toyhauler

#2 - ???? Spend whatever it costs to convert the truck we own to a dually. I know this doesn't make the truck's vin# legal for the weight. Again, I know!!! But it will make it so the rear axle/tires are equipped to handle it.

#3 - (Me) Remove lots of the aftermarket parts from the current truck and sell them for extra cash. Sell the current truck that I love and have made all the mods on myself and have had for 8 years and am only the second owner of. Then buy an '08+ F450 with 6.4 and... hear me out. I'll take about 5k of the sale money from the old truck with extra money from parts sold and buy an intake, dpf delete, egr delete, tuner, and a Gear Vendors OD for mileage. WOW that's alot of bs to deal with

OK, there it is. Maybe there's something I'm not thinking of? IDK what avenue to persue. Absolutely love my 7.3 but the 6.4 makes alot more power and I really need a dually to be legal. So lay it on me guys. WWYD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 07:33 PM
spool up that turbo!!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Honestly the 450 would be a nice route but i know tons of people that row out side there gross my dad uncle and boss being some my uncle has a trailer really close to yours and hauls it with the same truck and my dad has the 06 version of your and hauls it with a 2500 dmax and my boss has a monster edition 5th wheel that is bigger then a raptor and a 14ft enclosed off the back (don't ask haha) now with that said they are all cdl drivers so it's all what you feel comfortable with
Old 09-27-2011, 07:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Heck I'd pull with it. Although a nice International for a tow rig would be sweet.
As long as it feels safe, stops safe, pulls good, and you don't think you'll break the axle, then go for it.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Premium Member

Ya I hear both of ya. I am a CDL driver and I'm perfectly comfortable driving it. My biggest fear is blowing a tire on the rear axle honestly. Ya know, once I get below %40 tread and the tires start looking "thin". I don't wanna have to only use half my tires and be buying new ones all the time so I don't have to worry about it.

Thanks guys
Old 09-27-2011, 07:52 PM

Honestly, that's not a very heavy trailer.
We have an 06 Raptor for sale that has a GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating, what the trailer is rated to weigh, max) of 13,500 so it probably weighs 11k or so. Triple axle so there isn't much that winds up going to the pin box.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:34 PM
spool up that turbo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.34ever View Post
Ya I hear both of ya. I am a CDL driver and I'm perfectly comfortable driving it. My biggest fear is blowing a tire on the rear axle honestly. Ya know, once I get below %40 tread and the tires start looking "thin". I don't wanna have to only use half my tires and be buying new ones all the time so I don't have to worry about it.

Thanks guys
i say if you love the truck and you are comfortable with it then run it
Old 09-27-2011, 08:38 PM

keep on gassin er homie!!!
Old 09-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Honestly, that's not a very heavy trailer.
We have an 06 Raptor for sale that has a GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating, what the trailer is rated to weigh, max) of 13,500 so it probably weighs 11k or so. Triple axle so there isn't much that winds up going to the pin box.
The GVWR of the trailer you have for sale is 13,500# right? Usually the cargo rating of these toyhaulers is about 2500-3000# so it probably weighs 10k or so dry.

I originally posted that my trailer weighs 12,800# dry(no water, fuel, propane) and the hitch weight is 2800# in that form. The GVWR on mine is 16,500#. That puts me over on the rear axle for the tire ratings by 800# alone.

I'll probably just keep runnin 'er I guess. Hammer down!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:05 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you have quality 10-plys
Old 09-28-2011, 07:08 PM

What's you're truck's GVWR and rear axle WR? Just curious cause I'm used to a dually and F350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.