Running different sized tires... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 05:21 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Running different sized tires...

Now this may come up from time to time, but please hear me out.

I went to order 6 new tires (from the state's distributor) slightly larger and they only have 4 and they can't locate two more right now.
Now this got me to thinking ... Hmmm .... (not always comming up with a good idea, I know!)
Now why couldn't I use this to my advantage and slightly reduce drag by only having 4 tires on the ground while daily driving unloaded (about 85% of the time) and then once loaded the sidewall deflection of the (again slightly) larger tires will allow the smaller diameter tire to also carry the load.

I assume we all have seen older rigs (both big semi and med duty trucks vans) with mismatched tires mounted on the drive axle. We've also seen 'duallys' run around with single tires in the rear. (silly looking to me, but one never knows the reason others do the things they do)

Anyway has anyone tried this (pros / cons) and really what's the worst that could happen as I will not be loading my F-450 with any bigger load than my 1/2 ton GMC has been hauling for the last 3 years. (basicly under #1000 in the bed OR towing #7000 off the bumper)

Hope to hear some opinions and examples if you have them.

Last edited by Back-To-Doo; 09-23-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 07:29 AM

40 peaks and no reply?

Anyone have an opinion??
Old 09-27-2011, 08:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You know.. The is a good idea..

But here's my take on it..and i may be completely wrong.. its just my .02 for what its worth..

I would assume you would put the larger tires on the outside, to prevent it from looking silly.. Kind of hide the smaller tire on the inside...

That being said.. I would that that tire, not having any pressure on it, might wobble around? or Un-evenly turn??

Or even, having to essentially just spin that extra weight in the air.. as opposed to it being planted on the ground helping the rest of it.. I could see it actually possibly hurting you? You know what i mean? Its like its having to spin that tire in the air...instead of rolling it on the ground...

IDK..thats my thoughts on it.. I figured i'd chime in since nobody else has..

Why don't you just put the 4 new ones on the back, and get an old school muscle car rake going on... haha Just don't use 4x4.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My take on it would be that its a bad idea. Reason for that is this, If you put enough weight on the truck to squat the tire enough to have all four hit the groung, then they are probably bulging enough now to be rubbing each other which will cause over heating issues which turns to blow outs (and rubbing tires is a DOT no no.) If its not a 4x4 then I would do the 4 on the back untill I could replace the front.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Def not a good idea to put two diff sizes next to each other on a dually. One of those tires will let go. Many moons of tire experience here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.