2" Dually wheel spacer removal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 01:25 PM
BANNED

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2" Dually wheel spacer removal

If one of the mods wants to move this thread to the wheels and tires section, thats fine. I figured it would belong here due to my issue being directly related to duallys.

Let me start off by saying I am very impressed with the quality of the spacers that Fred designs (and for his customer service 100% top notch). Also, this thread is in no way what so ever intended to be putting down him or his product.

I read a while back that either Badnight or Mudrunningpig (maybe some one else also I can't remember) had some diffulity removing the 2 inch spacers from between the rear tires.

When I installed them last night they were tight just as everyone else had described them to be (needing to be somewhat "pressed" on using a ratchet). I cleaned the flange with emory cloth and also used anti sieze to help keep them from freezing on. I tightened them up in the normal pattern and went back over them again to make sure all were torqued to factory spec. Both spacers were equaly as tight on each side so I didnt think anything of it.

The past two days have pretty much been a nightmare dealing with these tires. The tire shop I used (that we have taken out vehicles to for years) scratched the **** out of one of my front wheels by not having the rubber pads on the bead breaker. The bolts that hold the pads in were however still present and decieded that they would take out a nice gouge out of the wheel. The owner of the shop is going to take care of the wheel (however I get it resolved). I never let the tire shops people take off or install my wheels, too many ruined studs from a impact wrench happy mech. in the past lol. So I get home, get everything buttoned up, and take her for a spin. Before I left my driveway two of my wheel weights has fallen off from the mechanic not installing them correctly.

I tried to remove the tires last nigth to take them and get them to reballance and fix the issue. The spacers are not going anywhere so I took the truck and all to the shop this morning and they have no way to pull them off (no hub pullers or any other pullers for some reason).

So, what kind of puller or tool or method have you guys used to remove these things. I spoke to Fred earlier and he gave me some advise about trying to unlodge them using 4x4 posts but i'm not sure a 4x4 will fit back there between the tires and the leaf springs.

He also said that he had never had anyone call and bring the issue to his attention, even told me that when I got them off to send them back and he would take off another 0.010 off the inside free of charge. Not many people around anymore that would offer to help out like that.

Well I didn't mean to be this long winded but come on guys help me out lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Mine fit perfect , they are snug but come right off . If I did have an issue however I would hit the back of the wheel with a dead blow or lead hammer . This will knock off the spacer . You slowly spin the wheel while smacking the back of it . As far as your balancing issue , ditch the weights and get balancing beads . The come in a bag that just gets thrown inside of the tire . It breaks open when you drive . Then your tires are balanced every time you drive it . This is a must when putting a wide tire on a 6" rim . Weights will always be flying off .
Old 09-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I use a flathead and a hammer. Works for me. Although taking the lugnuts off the spacer and putting the wheel back on the spacer may work. Never thought of that. It would def give u a lot of leverage.

Sent from my fone.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:26 PM

I have n advice to offer in this situation other than to just keep f**king with them until they come off.
But I am in the market for some spacers myself. Does this guy Fred have a website / phone number so that I can order a set as well??
Old 09-01-2011, 05:18 PM
BANNED

Bad Night- I'll have to give the dead blow a try later, the guys at the shop hit the inside of the tire with a BFH and it wouldnt budge. Even put it on the ground with loose lugs on the spacer and drove it 10 ft back and forward.. nothing. Any advise on where to pick up the ballancing beads? I've heard also of people droping a few golf balls in the tires to keep them ballanced, but never put much faith in it.

Belz - I tried a flat head and a hammer, air chissle, pry bar, soaked pb blaster on it over night, I've exhausted all my means (besides the dead blow mentioned above).

Antonm - the webpage is WheelAdapter.com is your number one source for wheel adapters, wheel spacers, used wheels, and wheel studs. They aren't the cheapest thing in the world, but I'd rather put more money out on a quality product than have my wheels passing me on the highway.

Thanks for chiming in guys, I know some one here had issues and mentioned that he had to use a heavy duty wheel hub puller of some sort on his, hopefully he will comment soon (I never mind having an excuse to buy more tools). In the mean time I may throw some pics up to show her off
Old 09-01-2011, 06:16 PM

Not to say anything but nothing has worked? Really? Wow. I had to make sure to keep moving the screw driver around a lot and beat it hard with hammer. Did u get them hub centric both ends? I cut off the outside hub centric portion since my wheels are lugcentric. Now it's cake to take them off.

Sent from my fone.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:50 PM
BANNED

Nothing in the past two days.. Yes, they are hub centric inside on both inside and outside of the spacer. The outside of the spacer is no issue, its the inside that backs up to the inner wheel that is being the pain. I didn't mess with it this afternoon, I needed a break from the frustration.. Hooters and Michelob seemed to fit the bill

List of things we have tried..

- air chisels
- sledge hammer
- flat screwdriver with hammer
- pry bar with hammer
- lowered the truck down and drove it back and forward 15 ft or so with lugs loose on the spacer.

I may try to unbolt the inner wheel and bolt up the outside and see if I can make something work with that in the next day or so. I swear when I get these things off I will polish the hubs if I have to to keep these things from being such a bugger lol.

Like I said I know there are some folks here that have had to use pullers to get them off, looks like ill be searching and sending pms lol.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hmm , wonder if they were machined a tad small . The balancing beads can be bought at any tire supply store really . Most of the big truck shops have them in stock since they are standard issue for them . Sorry to hear of your issues .
Old 09-02-2011, 05:34 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

I did find that taking mine off was a slight task, but with a screwdriver(big one) they came right off. Let me clarify that....
they came off easily once I take my axles out of the rear end. the lips on my axles on the end are a bit bigger than the ends of the housing(where they bolt to). so with that, the spacer wont slide on or off. He has this issue addressed by taking a grinder and just grinding off some of the metal on the axle. but I just havent done that yet.
I have Fred's spacers, and they are top notch. Mudrunninpig has run freds front and rear and not had any issues. He had bought some off Ebay one time and used them up front and on the way to a truck show, 6 of the eight studs brok on it and his wheel about fell off! luckily he was in a work zone and he was going like 15 mph. he then bought freds spacers for the front and not had an issue since.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:08 AM
BANNED

Thanks Bad Night, I'll be calling around to find some of the beads..

HVAC - When I shaved down my axle flange, I just had my g/f get in the truck and put it in drive while i held the angle grinder to them. I was pretty impressed with the results, looks like it was turned on a lathe. If they were painted back black you out never know it. Took less than 5 min. per side.

I found a wheel hub puller that says it will work with a bolt circle up to 7.5 in. If i cant find anything around here to get them off, I may give it a try.
Amazon.com: KD Tools (KD 2251) Heavy Duty Universal Wheel Hub Puller: Home Improvement Amazon.com: KD Tools (KD 2251) Heavy Duty Universal Wheel Hub Puller: Home Improvement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.