Ford pro/cons - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 07:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ford pro/cons

I am researching diesel trucks and I am more confused then when I started a few months ago. (need some help) I am looking for an honest answer I have owned all brands ford, chevy, and dodge vehicles. My father currently has a duramax, I like the dodge megacabs and the ford crews is one better than other or is just what you prefer to drive. I am not brand specific at all maybe that is my problem, I am looking for something to last for years with the least amount of problems and that is it. Thanks to all who can help me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2011, 07:50 AM
Banned

Really depends on what you are wanting to do with the truck. They all have their issues, but they all have their strong points. So what are you going to be doing? Towing or getting groceries?

What year ranges are you looking at?
Old 04-02-2011, 09:39 AM
The Silent Service

I was in your place back in 2006, and though a lot has changed since then, the big three build trucks under the same principles. I test drove over a dozen trucks in all, from all three makers, and all were diesel, with automatics. A lot of that selection has to do with what you want to do with the truck, and what is a priority to you with features on these trucks. You have this posted in the DRW section, so I'm going to assume you're looking for a 1-ton truck or better with DRW's. This is my experiance with my search, and the truck I purchased (in sig) and I still drive.

Chevolet/GMC: If you're looking at comfort of ride over anything else, hard to beat the smooth ride of GM. At the time these were the most horsepower trucks on the road, what crippled it was the 3.73 gears in the axles. The frames were not as strong as the Ford's, and the IFS on these trucks will lead to issues down the road.

Dodge: Dodge's biggest claim to fame is the Cummins under the hood, the straight 6 will always be more reliable to a similar designed V8. The transmissions on these trucks are a major issue, particularly the automatics, and the frames are the weakest. The cabs were smaller back in '06, with the exception of that huge MegaCab. I did test drive one, and struck it from the options. The 8ft bed wasn't an option, and the extra length in the cab is all steel, which makes for a huge blind spot.

Ford: These trucks are built for the working man. If you count the number of commercially driven trucks in your area, I'm willing to bet the Ford will out number the other 2 combined. The transmissions are great on the '03 and up trucks, and the frames last longer. These trucks use heavier axles and springs. Each of the motors have an issue, but the aftermarket has responded and they can be made bullet-proof. As for the interiors, hard to beat the comfort of a fully furnished King Ranch. Me, I prefer the cloth and simplicity of the XLT. Ford's are the heavier working trucks, even the massive towing capacity of the '08 and up F450. My '07 F350 with the TowBoss package is effectively the fore-runner of that truck. Each truck is going to have its flaws, and possible repairs. You want a truck to last a number of years get the Ford.

My rig is my daily driver, with around 70k on the clock. I've learned more about it in the last few months, because I neglected its oil-cooler issue. I'm working toward getting the 6.0L bullet-proof in my truck, and I'll bet she'll still be strong after 300k or more.

Last edited by colo_dually; 04-02-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
I was in your place back in 2006, and though a lot has changed since then, the big three build trucks under the same principles. I test drove over a dozen trucks in all, from all three makers, and all were diesel, with automatics. A lot of that selection has to do with what you want to do with the truck, and what is a priority to you with features on these trucks. You have this posted in the DRW section, so I'm going to assume you're looking for a 1-ton truck or better with DRW's. This is my experiance with my search, and the truck I purchased (in sig) and I still drive.

Chevolet/GMC: If you're looking at comfort of ride over anything else, hard to beat the smooth ride of GM. At the time these were the most horsepower trucks on the road, what crippled it was the 3.73 gears in the axles. The frames were not as strong as the Ford's, and the IFS on these trucks will lead to issues down the road. +Electrical Problems and RUST.

Dodge: Dodge's biggest claim to fame is the Cummins under the hood, the straight 6 will always be more reliable to a similar designed V8. The transmissions on these trucks are a major issue, particularly the automatics, and the frames are the weakest. The cabs were smaller back in '06, with the exception of that huge MegaCab. I did test drive one, and struck it from the options. The 8ft bed wasn't an option, and the extra length in the cab is all steel, which makes for a huge blind spot. Add crappy front ends.

Ford: These trucks are built for the working man. If you count the number of commercially driven trucks in your area, I'm willing to bet the Ford will out number the other 2 combined. The transmissions are great on the '03 and up trucks, and the frames last longer. These trucks use heavier axles and springs. Each of the motors have an issue, but the aftermarket has responded and they can be made bullet-proof. As for the interiors, hard to beat the comfort of a fully furnished King Ranch. Me, I prefer the cloth and simplicity of the XLT. Ford's are the heavier working trucks, even the massive towing capacity of the '08 and up F450. My '07 F350 with the TowBoss package is effectively the fore-runner of that truck. Each truck is going to have its flaws, and possible repairs. You want a truck to last a number of years get the Ford.

My rig is my daily driver, with around 70k on the clock. I've learned more about it in the last few months, because I neglected its oil-cooler issue. I'm working toward getting the 6.0L bullet-proof in my truck, and I'll bet she'll still be strong after 300k or more.
I added my experiences in RED. I'm relatively new to fords, but I may add "Rust" to Ford as well.. my bed is prety bad. LOVE the 7.3L, tho!
Old 04-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

needs

I am not planning on pulling anything that I could't with my old 6.0 gmc gas motor. I want as much room in back seat as possible with the best mpgs as possible I don't need a drw but I think they look better is all. There is a local dealer who has one that has 113,000 f350 king ranch drw in need of some body work and he is off his rocker I believe they are asking 24,000 for it with the rear fender flare fixed the truck is an 06. This all leads me to my next issue which is how many miles is to many if I plan to keep this truck for as long as I can? Thank you for all your help so far.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm trading in my '97 F350 CC dually 7.3. She's got over 200,000 basically flawless miles. Pulled a 31 foot travel trailer across the country, I forget how many times. I had to replace the tranny at 177,000 miles, a couple alternators, vacuum pumps, the usual wear items. The only times she left me stranded were of my own making. I'm rolling the dice on a 2006 F350 King Ranch CC dually and I don't have any second doubts about it. I've owned Chevy's and Dodges, and in my mind they just can't match the overall Ford package. Good luck on your purchase.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nothing beats an 2008-10 Superduty, except a 2011 Superduty

colo said it well
Old 04-06-2011, 10:48 AM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaleo View Post
I am not planning on pulling anything that I could't with my old 6.0 gmc gas motor. I want as much room in back seat as possible with the best mpgs as possible I don't need a drw but I think they look better is all. There is a local dealer who has one that has 113,000 f350 king ranch drw in need of some body work and he is off his rocker I believe they are asking 24,000 for it with the rear fender flare fixed the truck is an 06. This all leads me to my next issue which is how many miles is to many if I plan to keep this truck for as long as I can? Thank you for all your help so far.
24,000 for a King Ranch like that mint, ain't bad depending on the year. The body damage can either be fixed before delivery, or negotiated off the blue book value of the truck. 113k on the 6.0L, even on an '03 is about 14k a year which isn't too bad but you have to pull the reports on any of the 6.0's and find out what's been done under the hood (particularly head gaskets and oil/EGR coolers).

Getting the DRW, puts you down to 4.10 gears, (4.30 with the TowBoss) unless its a 2011. The gears and extra tires place a noticeable drop in your fuel economy. Wouldn't trade mine for any other truck out there, but with the mindset of economy and the family you may be better with a SRW unless you plan on towing heavy, or often.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:08 AM

FORD!!It's all in personal preference, I've owned them all and my ford has giving the best overall service. She has 296,000 on her and of course she shows it in places, but it's all normal wear and tear, she's still stout and strong and very dependable. Ford has been my family's choice of trucks for many generations, and if I have anything to do with it, it will always be But that's my opinion and again it's all in personal preference!
Old 04-17-2011, 12:44 PM

i own a f250 7.3 2000 has 250xxx on it and buying another one in a week or so 6 speed man. For more towing, i have a friend that i believe its a 04 6.0 liter he has over 500,000 miles on it he runs a construction company so its had a trailor on the back of it all its life and its still goin. He said its never let him stranded so.... He also pulls a big a$$ boat with it about every weekend during the warmer months too!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.