Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1996 Ford F350 Dually Build Thread

6K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  CaptainCannon 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone!!!

Glad to finally be here. Just bought my first truck two days ago, been wanting a 7.3 for a long time. Funny thing is I was looking for one for over a year and once I give up the next day one comes along that is a steal.

This build thread is from an Ex Jeeper that does not know all of the Powerstroke Lingo. I will explain everything I do in detail so that anyone can copy my work. I hope this will be informative for new people like me or those that are not mechanically inclined. For those that have experience, please sit back and enjoy.

I'll definitely have questions along the way and would love pointers and solutions.

Truck info

1996 Ford 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel Crew Cab Long Bed Dually

Obsidian White - Trash Interior

New Transmission

Along with the truck that has 220,000 miles that I got for $800 I got a fully functioning Warn 8274 winch that will be mounted on the front of the truck after it is rebuilt.

Here is the truck from the ad. Asking $1,700

Had it towed through AAA because I didn't have anyone available to drive it back and I knew the truck wouldn't last.

Turned out to be way cleaner on the outside in person - the interior not so much, everything needs to be replaced.

And there it is in front of my house.

Ordered a new:

Starter Solenoid (SS)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IYY3KQ/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Transmission Range Sensor (TRS)

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-S...automotive&vehicleId=2&vehicleType=automotive

2006 Ford F150 King Ranch Seats From the Junkyard (JY) $400 after 4 days of calling lol - Pictures Shortly

First thing I'm going to do is change all of the fluids and filters. That Entails:

Draining oil, coolant, power steering fluid (PSF), and transmission fluid.

The air filter, fuel filter, oil filter, and transmission fluid filter will all be replaced.

I will be flushing the coolant system with Prestone Coolant Flush - a great product that I have used multiple times in the past.

https://www.amazon.com/Prestone-AS1...877051&sr=1-1&keywords=prestone+coolant+flush

Thats all that I can think of for now. As I move along I'll update, still putting together the list of what I want to do to it, I'll post that either tonight of tomorrow.

As a recommendation to anyone doing a build get Amazon Prime. It's way cheaper that the autoparts store and like with any build you can always wait and work on another part of the project. The money savings is worth the extra planning time. I learned this through my Jeep build after I noticed I was paying double there.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
My first issue has come up. Originally the starter solenoid was bypassed and the truck started up fine. I just bought a new starter solenoid and wired it up without the bypass. It powers up but there is nothing when attempting to start. Looked at pictures and YouTube Videos and haven't figured out the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My thought is that the little wire with the 90 degree bend is the wire that engages the whole setup. If the wire is bad that would cause the solenoid to not engage and thus require the bypass.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.