2004 E350 NO BRAKES - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2004 E350 NO BRAKES

Wife was coming home today, she called and said brakes felt funny. She was right. Pedal is still hard but even mashing hard they won't hold truck. My questions are: Does E series use hydra boost like the F series or does it have a vacuum pump and if so where is it. Thanks
2004 E350 6.0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 08:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to tonypagnano
look at the master cylinder, if it is mounted to a a large circular can looking thing with a large vacuum line attacthed it is vacuum boost, being an E 350 and a diesel i am assuming it most likely has hydroboost brakes. Check the power steering fluid.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Emergency Services

It looks like it is vacuum boost. Power steering fluid was fine that's what made me think maybe had vacuum pump. I hate workin on this thing cause u can't see nothin. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to tonypagnano
if it is, which i am not sure, there is a check valve on the actual booster itself, when they go bad they cause a hard pedal. Essentially it is like old school brakes and you aren't getting any assist. You really have to push hard to get it to stop. Pop the check valve out and try blowing through it. you should be able to blow through it one way but not the other. Again not sure if you have vacuum boost but if you do start there, it is very over looked but very simple fix. Hope this helps
Old 05-21-2009, 08:24 PM
Emergency Services

I'll have to check that out. I went and got the truck and drove it home. It had a funny clicking sound from front left motor area. After I took off I downshifted trans to slow down on hill and heard a pop. Got to stop sign brakes working normal. I drove rest of the way home had to stop about 3 more times everything normal. I get home get out open hood get back in truck to back up brakes no worky again.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Emergency Services

Looks like it has belt driven vacuum pump found motorcraft part #4C2Z2A451AA Now to see if I can put my hands on it.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:03 AM
Emergency Services

Get a vacuum gauge and check the pump before you go through the trouble of pulling the wheel and whatnot..
Old 05-22-2009, 05:08 AM
Emergency Services

Thanks for the tip Eli I'll check it out. I come through Beeville every couple of months on my way to Laredo
Old 05-22-2009, 08:13 PM
Emergency Services

I know that my 2004 E450 has hydroboost brakes. I figured that they finally changed to hydroboost brakes when they changed to the 6.0 in 2004 (for vans). Maybe hydroboost was an option, or maybe it is standard on an E450. Don't know.

I have changed a number of vacuum pumps on 7.3l vans. It's not a terrible hassle. On a 7.3l you can get a little combination wrench onto the bolts without pulling the wheel off. You have to do them a little at a time, because they are too long to actually take out of the vacuum pump with the wheel in the way. Once you fiddle with it, and finally get it off, then you can take it to your bench to get the wheel off and install it on a new pump. Make sure you put the bolts into the holes (on the pump) before you install the wheel on the new pump. This way is a lot easier than working inside the truck where there is no room.

Now, on a 6.0l, I have no idea if it will be this simple. The engineers that designed the engine compartment layout for the 6.0l vans really deserve a special spot in hell. They go through all the trouble of shoe-horning a 6.0l in a van, and you get a whopping 235 Brake Horsepower (YAY!).. With the 7.3l you get 225 BHP and a lot less headaches.. The upside of having a 6.0l in a van is that it is a breeze to do an EGR block-off though.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:44 AM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibenson View Post

Now, on a 6.0l, I have no idea if it will be this simple. The engineers that designed the engine compartment layout for the 6.0l vans really deserve a special spot in hell. They go through all the trouble of shoe-horning a 6.0l in a van, and you get a whopping 235 Brake Horsepower (YAY!).. With the 7.3l you get 225 BHP and a lot less headaches.. The upside of having a 6.0l in a van is that it is a breeze to do an EGR block-off though.
You are right on there. I finally got to see the pump but I haven't got it off yet. Haven't seen the bottom bolt yet.

What all did you have to do to do the egr block off I need to do that cause I think the egr is not working right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.