HELP! I can't keep it in a straight line! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 08:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation HELP! I can't keep it in a straight line!

Hi everyone, I am long-time lurker, newbie to posting though. I have a 2000 F350 TD CC, and I've been having this steering problem for a while but gradually it's gotten worse. Basically what happens is when I am driving, if I make a sharp turn all of a sudden my steering will get stuck in that direction and if I go to correct it, it jerks to the opposite direction causing me to zig-zag (like a drunk driver), it will do this for a little while then all of a sudden it will go away and then the problem might not show up for weeks again. What's really concerning me now is that it is now turning into a violent jerk from left to right and vice versa so much I am afraid I am going to cause an accident. I took my truck to Big-O, and the guy didn't know what the problem was and basically told me my tie rod needs replaced (have some play in the steering wheel) and his guess for the violent steering problem was the steering box but was not confident. I read somewhere online that this is a common issue and that the ball joints need to be replaced but I want to make sure of this before I go in for work done on it. Also, I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me out with a guess on how much the following work will cost with parts and labor?

1) Total ball joint replacement
2) Full brake job (rotors, pads, calipers in front)
3) Tie Rod
4) Allignment

I'm still new to my truck, I just barely bought it last year so I apologize if my questions are a little naive. Anyway, thank you for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2008, 08:16 PM
scuffs *****

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
With all that stuff being done to it, if you have a shop do it, I'd say your looking at $1300-$1700
Old 11-28-2008, 11:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

does that sound like what is causing the steering problem though? I just want to make sure so I am not paying a lot of money to keep replacing parts
Old 11-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
what about the steering box? that might be bad.

if yoi turn the wheel, do the front wheels move also?
does your power steering fluid leak?
Old 11-28-2008, 11:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfatboy08 View Post
Hi everyone, I am long-time lurker, newbie to posting though. I have a 2000 F350 TD CC, and I've been having this steering problem for a while but gradually it's gotten worse. Basically what happens is when I am driving, if I make a sharp turn all of a sudden my steering will get stuck in that direction and if I go to correct it, it jerks to the opposite direction causing me to zig-zag (like a drunk driver), it will do this for a little while then all of a sudden it will go away and then the problem might not show up for weeks again. What's really concerning me now is that it is now turning into a violent jerk from left to right and vice versa so much I am afraid I am going to cause an accident. I took my truck to Big-O, and the guy didn't know what the problem was and basically told me my tie rod needs replaced (have some play in the steering wheel) and his guess for the violent steering problem was the steering box but was not confident. I read somewhere online that this is a common issue and that the ball joints need to be replaced but I want to make sure of this before I go in for work done on it. Also, I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me out with a guess on how much the following work will cost with parts and labor?

1) Total ball joint replacement
2) Full brake job (rotors, pads, calipers in front)
3) Tie Rod
4) Allignment

I'm still new to my truck, I just barely bought it last year so I apologize if my questions are a little naive. Anyway, thank you for the help!
(1) jack the front up off the ground, if you can tilt the wheel while prying on it from the ground and opposite replace them. @$260 from powerstrokeshop.com

(2)make sure nothing is hanging up (the slid pins on calipers)

(3)if you cant grab it and move it..........use rubber malet just to make sure.

(4)i would take it to a shopfor that if you dont have the tools to do it right.

if none of those work replace steering box. you can tighten it up but do it a 1/4 turn at a time and drive.

had the same problem as you,replaced steering box and all good

just my .02
Old 12-08-2008, 06:29 PM

sounds more like a steering box problem, ball joints make a popping noise, have had a truck get stuck turning from bad u-joints on the front axle, is the truck 4wd.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Same exact problem

I have the exact same problem in my 05, I have had a mechanic look at the front end he says everything is fine, he thinks it is the steering gear too. Just seems wierd that a steering gear would do this?
Old 04-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I logged on and was looking for the right place to post that mine is having the EXACT same problem.
Mine definitely feels like a fluid issue. I had the power steering system flushed and it was actually better all the way to Tennessee and back last weekend but come Monday morning it was right back again. What started out as a gradual pull of the steering wheel to one direction or the other has now become pretty violent from time to time.
Now tonight I drove it for the first time since yesterday morning the problem was not there for about an hour. I was turning both directions many times and then suddenly it was back again.
Like was mentioned above, a mechanic has suggested the steering box but was not sure. Said there was some sort of valve in there that might be hanging up. Does anyone know for certain what the problem is before I buy a box and go through the hassle of installing it?
Thanks
Old 04-24-2009, 05:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin Dirty View Post
I logged on and was looking for the right place to post that mine is having the EXACT same problem.
Mine definitely feels like a fluid issue. I had the power steering system flushed and it was actually better all the way to Tennessee and back last weekend but come Monday morning it was right back again. What started out as a gradual pull of the steering wheel to one direction or the other has now become pretty violent from time to time.
Now tonight I drove it for the first time since yesterday morning the problem was not there for about an hour. I was turning both directions many times and then suddenly it was back again.
Like was mentioned above, a mechanic has suggested the steering box but was not sure. Said there was some sort of valve in there that might be hanging up. Does anyone know for certain what the problem is before I buy a box and go through the hassle of installing it?
Thanks
I have talked to several Ford mechanics and they have been changing alot of steering gears out because people are having the same issue. I really didn't want to put in a steering gear either, but I have ordered it. I just think that it is strange to have a bad steering gear in a vehicle with 80000 miles on it.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had the steering gear replaced and while it was apart replaced the axle joints. Drove it about 500 miles over the weekend and it has been perfect. I would definitely go after the steering gear box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.