broken rear wheel studs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 03:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
broken rear wheel studs

I managed to break to break off 7 wheel studs with a full load of staging. Can anyone help me fix this? I've done alot of repairs and have the tools, just never had this problem before. My truck is a 2001 f250 superduty. Thanks for any help. I need to get back to work!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Premium Member

I changed a few on the back of my truck. You are going to need to get obviously the wheel studs, but you also need an inner rear hub seal.

Take tire off, or in your case, it might already have fallen off

If you do this job with the axle higher in the air than the other side, the gear oil loss will be pretty neglegable.

Remove caliper and bracket. then tap on disk till the rust breaks loose and remove.

Take 6 or 8 bolts off hub so you can pull floating axle shaft out.

The axle nut inside is a springoaded racheting style nut, so it will sounds like its grinding for the first few turns. You will need a 4 pin socket like a 42mm or something, or be gentle with a screwdriver and mallet. Driver side from what I remember is left hand thread. once you get that and the outer bearing off, you are going to have to pry on hub to basically break the inner seal to get the hub off.

Replace broken studs, remove old seal, and press new seal into hub. Do not tap seal in with a hammer, the flat metal ring will pop out of its crimping, and you will need another $25 seal.

Reinstall the hub, tirghtening down axle nut fully, then backing out 2 clicks on the racheting part. finish reasembeling in reverse order.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to cchase
if you are in a bad spot, like when it happend to me, i drilled a hole in the back, and then hammered what was left out, then replaced the studs spinning the wheel to bring the next one around
Old 11-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Banned

A autoparts store with a machine shop has the parts and a press to press the studs out and in. Worth a few bucks.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchase View Post
if you are in a bad spot, like when it happend to me, i drilled a hole in the back, and then hammered what was left out, then replaced the studs spinning the wheel to bring the next one around
Yes there is a spot somewhere in the brake dust shield that you can drill to save pulling the hub.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok,thanks! I'll check out drilling a hole first. And I'll be checking my lug nuts frequently
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.