Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

steering problem!!

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  TheDurtyDeez 
#1 ·
The otherday as I was backing up with the wheel turned towards the driver side I heard a clunk. Everything looked fine, but now when I turn the wheel that way, at about the same angle, the wheel sticks(driving or idleing). This is a serious problem, but if I hold the wheel(crank it) it will eventually turn all the way.

Is this the steering gear? Sould I replace it? It doesnt seem to involved but should I take it to a dealership, or shop?<-- I really dont want to do this, cuz I REALLY cant afford it, and am rather mechanically inclined.

Thanks guys!

#5 ·
I have heard ball joints make a noise like you described, If it is worn it could also "hang up"
Do you have even wear on the front tires?

#6 ·
Wear is normal... and ball joints are 6 months old, and seem to be fine, but I will check for sure tomorrow.

I did notice early in the morning when I start my struck and back out the driveway, when I turn the wheel, it sounds like rubber squeaking when the wheel gets hung up. Its always in the same place too.

Any other ideas?

#7 ·
Could the sound be the belt slipping on the power steering pump?
It still would not explain what is hanging up except that the problem would lie after the steering booster.

#8 ·
inspect the u-joints on the front axles. Mine would only stick when the wheels were fully turned. It would take a few seconds of wheel sawing to bring things back to normal. It drove me nuts until one day I jacked up the front end and spun the wheel while rotating the steering. I noticed at a point where the u-joint began to spin out of round.

#9 ·
I am thinkin u-joints now... I will jack it up to confirm this weekend, it gets better with less weight on the front axle, and worse with more weight. Like turning onto the road from a gas station with a ramp into the parking lot (a Northern thing), it sticks bad!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.