Steering box goes now...Just can't get a break!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2008, 11:45 AM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
Steering box goes now...Just can't get a break!!!

Well, we got the battery issue fixed, at least for the short term. Got my unemployment check in the mail on Fri so Sat morning, we desided to take Brisco to the National Outdoor Show in Church Creek, MD...on the other side of the Bay Bridge...about 2 hrs (80 miles) from my place. So everything is perfect, the Voltage is creeping up, best I saw was 13.2 at idle. We get back to my place at 0245 this morning and as I'm trying to get the truck turned to back into a spot, the wheel get VERY easy to turn, I get out and check, the drivers side tire is not taking steering inputs, so I have Jessie watch the Passenger tire...nothing there either. So I pull out a light and check the steering geometry...looks like the dropped pitman arm is not right.

Well, this morning, I go out and crawl under the truck, WTF!!!?? The shaft coming from the steering box to the pitman arm has snapped!!!! All I can think is, "Thank GOD it broke here at home and not while I was on the Bay bridge at 45 mph!!!" I can't even imagine the horror and damage if it had decided to go anywhere else. What are the chances.

So, anyone got a stock steering box I can get off of you cheap? And also, (since I haven't really looked into it much as of yet) exactly how difficult is it to pull the steering box and put a pitman arm on one and then reinstall it all w/ out issues? The truck is currently sitting all crooked over 2 parking spots and I don't have the $$$ to have anyone else to do it....though I might call my insurance and see what they say. Thanks in advance!

(Guess that "Hard-Luck case of the year" title wasn't just a joke!!! LOL.)

Last edited by Ditty; 02-24-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Premium Member

Well that sux Ditty sorry your having so many problems. I can't help ya with your steering trouble but you know someone else will.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

bump

Matt
Old 02-24-2008, 01:07 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ditty I can't help you from work but I can get you the Haynes repair manual pages and post them up for you when I get home if you'd like.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:18 PM

I've got a Haynes Manual. I placed a call to the 'rents. If I have to, they are going to financially help me if I have to go through the dealer to get it done. I would think that you would need a press to get the pitman arm on the steering box right? Also, I would need one to get the old shaft out of the pitman arm.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:29 AM

OK...this is weird. So I call up trusty old Apple Ford to see what I'm looking at for them to do the work for me. The Girl in Truck Service said the tech refuses to work on my truck b/c of the "Huge Lift and Enormous Tires"!!!?? WTF!!!??? I've seen trucks in there with 8" lifts and 40" tires!!! Ohh...she also called me a liar when I said I've A) had my truck worked on there before and B) have seen trucks a LOT bigger in there on the lifts getting work done.
She was VERY adimant about refusing to work on my truck.

So I called the other Ford Dealer, the service manager said they would be happy to work on my truck, that they could have the work done by tomorrow if I dropped it off today, and it would only be about $450 for labor. The Part is around $300-400....depending on the spline count. SO, after everything is said and done, it should run me about $1000. Grrr!!!!
Old 02-25-2008, 07:42 AM
Ole White

Dang Ditty that sucks man that labor charge is very pricey, Hopefully you can look around and find it cheaper. GOOD LUCK
Old 02-25-2008, 07:50 AM

I can get the Steering gear box for about $100 less at the auto stores, but there really isn't a shop around here that I trust with my truck. I TRUSTED Apple Ford....but not any more!!! (Ohh...I called and talked to the Service Manager and complained about Truck Service Girl!)
Old 02-25-2008, 07:56 AM
Ole White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditty View Post
I can get the Steering gear box for about $100 less at the auto stores, but there really isn't a shop around here that I trust with my truck. I TRUSTED Apple Ford....but not any more!!! (Ohh...I called and talked to the Service Manager and complained about Truck Service Girl!)
I know what you mean about trusting a dealer but if you can save a 100 bucks and find a press to use you would come out 450-500 bucks ahead by saving the labor.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:12 AM

True. We'll see. It took a lot of searching but I finally found a local Fleet Truck shop. They are checking to see how long it would take 'em to do it and if they can get me the part cheaper. They already said they would cut me a deal on the tow too!!! Which is nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.