Brake caliper locking up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brake caliper locking up

2003 f250 4x4. Year and a half ago I replaced both front rotors, pads and the driver side caliper. I drove it for about 6 months with no issues. Tranny went out and the truck sat for about 8 months. New tranny and Im back on the road.

However the driverside brake began dragging, pulling hard to the left, smell of burning brakes. I pulled the caliper, cleaned the pins the caliper rides on, regreased and put back together. Did right side too. Worked good for about 200 miles now today under normal driving conditions it locked up again and was smoking so much when i got it home i thought it was going to catch fire.

What is the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 02:03 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Take the caliper off and push each piston, one at a time in a bit (C-clamp works well). I'll bet you find one of them binding in the bore. This often is the result of contaminated brake fluid (it's hydroscopic and, when old, has enough water in it to cause the bore to form rust). If it's sticking, replace the caliper (they're cheap enough to prevent Me from rebuilding them...) and flush the entire brake system with new fluid.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:07 PM

Thanks man, what all is involved in a brake flush. Im going to pick up two new calipers and the brake fluid and get this done. Someone told me it could also be a bad brake line/hose....what do you think. I may replace those also.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:02 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
A hose can deteriorate and, inside, a flap forms that creates a kind of check-valve. That's hard to diagnose though, it's one of those, "nothing else it could be" kinda things after you've checked everything else

That's why I say confirm the pistons aren't binding, it's something you can check...

I have a cheap pressure bleeder I flush with, you can do it, with a helper, by doing the ole "Pump it up - Hold it Down" method. Start with the longest line and work to the shortest. Buy a couple of quarts and flush all the old stuff out.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:38 AM

Gotcha, just bleed em till they run clean basicly. Im going to check lines they cant be that much.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:51 PM

To complete this thread for those in the future. One piston in the new caliper was seized. Caliper was only a year or so old. Carquest replaced it as defective for no charge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.