Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

FRONT END BANGING NOISE

6K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Lilfarmrboy 
#1 ·
I HAVE A 02 SUPER DUTY F350 CREW CAB.HAS A LEVELING KIT ON THE FRONT.HAS AROUND 128,000 ON IT.THERE IS A BANGING CLUNKING SOUND COMING FROM THE FRONT.CHECKED ALL BUSHINGS AND REPLACED SWAY BAR END LINK BUSHINGS.CHECKED TRACK BAR MOUNT.WHEN FRONT BEARINGS GO BAD DO THEY MAKE A NOISE LIKE THAT?NERVOUS ABOUT DRIVING WITH MY KID ,JUST TIRED OF LOOKING FOR THE NOISE I CAN'T FIND.IF I HAVE TO REPLACE FRONT BEARINGS IS THERE A PARTICULAR BRA ND THAT IS THE BEST?

#5 ·
I have the same thing happening to me. I just replaced the driverside wheel hub assembly (bearing went bad) and now I got this binding/clinking noise coming from the front end. Only hear it when I hit a bump and can feel a slight tapping under the floor board but it only last a second or two. My hubs came with the truck but they are hard to turn (have to use a wide mouth visegrip to turn them) do you think that its just a problem with the locking hubs? I will say when I locked them in I heard the noise nonstop but I don't know much about the 4x4 system.

#8 ·
As long as I leave the hubs in Auto it seems to happen only once in a while of if I hit a bad bump. Is there anyway to check to see if is the hubs? I know I can pop them out, I wonder if I can ride around in the yard without them in to see if the noise stop? I hate asking stupid questions but I'm new to these 4x4 trucks. Thanks again for the info.

#9 ·
Should be able to.

Jack the truck up and support under the axle. Then using a prybar or pipe, slide under the tire and pry upward. This check is for both hub bearings (wheel bearing) and ball joints. It works better with two people. One does the prying and one lays under the truck to watch which joint is moving.

#10 ·
I jacked the truck up and both wheels were tight, no play. Rechecked everything underneath with a large flat blade screwdriver and a prybar and can't find nothing loose. Put truck in neutral and checked the universals both rear and front driveshaft and the ones for the front wheels and everything seems good. I guess I will be shopping for new hubs. Thanks guys. Sorry for hijacking your post hobagger.

#11 ·
My comment was for both of you.

Also, the sway bar mount bushings (on axle) have been know to make the same sort of noise and are hard to diag. They are only about 15 bucks and easy to change. I rebuilt my front end just last week and even though it is much tighter and the truck drives better, it is still clunking. My next thing will be these bushings. They were suspect anyhow but I wasnt sure.

Never heard a hub bearing make a clunk noise. Usually a grind/growl noise tjat will change when in a turn and/or on the brakes.

#12 ·
no prob about hi jacking. just hopefully we can fix these trucks! when i put the end links in i did the sway bar bushings on front axle at the same time with energy suspension polyureathane bushings.laid under truck for umpteenth time and checked everything again and still can't find anything what the hell man!!!this is driving me crazy.

#13 ·
Any chance of a video of the noise?
there isnt a ton of things that will make a "clunk" noise in the front end.

Are your spring bushings in ok condition?

#16 ·
Well I replaced my locking hubs. They were allowing the front driveshaft for the 4x4 to turn even though I had them in the open position. With the new ones on that has been fixed but now I am still getting a popping noise coming from underneath. I'm thinking carrier bearing maybe or some other bearing. Its only after I hit a bump or after I make a turn but most times just riding down the road I don't hear nothing. 50% there just got to find the other problem now...

#17 ·
I am hoping that this thread will get seen, I have a 00 F350 and after new tires, and rebalancing twice and rotating twice, every once in awhil my truck seems to "slip" into 4WD meaning that severe vibration and very tight steering just happens... at 35 mph or 55 mph. So today I went out to blow up the front end but the 4wd will not engage, I have manual hubs which I engaged them no 4 hi no 4 lo. Here is the kicker, as soon as I engaged hubs turned on switch and smashed the gas, the a/c vents stopped working and the defroster kicked on??? HELP???? please.

#18 ·
You got a vacuum leak. Its a common problem. You just have to track it down. Normally its the tube on the passenger side back towards the cab that comes off. Diesels don't make their own vacuum unlike gas trucks so they have a vacuum pump. I will try to get a pic of the tube but it sits right about the AC condenser over the passenger side front wheel well.

#20 ·
I should say that my 05 has a tube but you should have a similar setup. Not sure how much different but generally Ford keeps stuff the same. This is the best pic I could find online in a hurry. If its not the tube then you have a leak in the vacuum lines somewhere else, it may be in the hubs since you are having issues with them, or that may be why you are having issues with them. Either way I am pretty sure I am leading you down the right road. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.