axle off center after leaf spring install? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
axle off center after leaf spring install?

Hasn't moved in 2 years...

I just installed new rear (junkyard) leaf springs, and brand new hangers on a tight budget, rebuilding my stroker to new. The new height is amazing! I love it. However, I swear that that something doesn't look right, but I'm a beginner and this is my first time. Need some thoughts.

After everything installed and truck lowered to ground (just like the chilton manual says) and then all the bolts on the springs and U-bolts were tightened, if i stand on the side of the truck on the passenger side I feel like my rear tire is 2-3 inches forward or "off center," towards the front on the truck. The opposite side got new springs and hangers too and looks completely centered. Tire isn't sticking out noticeably or AT ALL when standing looking front to back.

Don't want to put it on the road till i figure out if this is possible or is it just late and I was working in the dark. Extremely tired so not sure if my eyes are deceiving me....

Could I have bent my Dana 60 axle by accident while putting on the new springs? Jacked up frame, then lowered axle, was very careful because I'm afraid to hurt her. I find it hard to believe cause this truck is tough as **** and I can't picture just if I improperly jacked it or let axle hang lower while putting it on that this happened. Am I crazy or is it just my eyes going bad? Please gimmie some thoughts. frame bent?? i don't think so. Geeze I'm cracking my second beer now, going insane. Please tell me Everything is fine. Should I let the tires roll a few feet and see what happens? Now I really feel like this isn'french to me..t possible if the other side is center. completely
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The rear is a Sterling 10.25, 10.5 or Dana 80 if DRW depending on year and unless you got in a accident, you didn't bend it. Start by setting the front wheels straight ahead and measure both sides from the center of the hub. If there is a significant difference, loosen your ubolts and check that the center pin is in the right place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.