99 SD front ujoints rubbing lower ball joint - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 12:47 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 99 SD front ujoints rubbing lower ball joint

I have a 99 super duty just put 4 new ball joint in last fall and was suprised how close the ujoint got to the lower ball joint i thought it would start rubbing but it worked fine all winter but last weekend was the first time i ran 4x4 hard in the mud now the yoke and u joint are rubbing and grinding under normal driving ...If u grab it you can move it around but the ujoint is good the outer axle seal and the wheel seal in the knuckle look pretty ****ty...are those seals all the hold the axle where it needs to be to keep it from rubbing or do i have all problems causeing my rubbing problem.....i pulled my diff cover off and it was clean no metal good fluid ....any ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 05:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First, NO! those seals don't "hold" anything And everybodys U-Joint moves more than you'd first think it should. That's the way it's designed, with no support of the axle at the end of the tube (and that seal there isn't really a "seal" at all, just keeps gravel from getting into the tube)

I'd think you most likely need to check the Ball Joints and U-Joint for slop. They shouldn't be able to touch...
Old 04-04-2012, 08:56 AM

the ball joints are new and the u joint is fine i know the gap between them when i put the new ball joints in was like a sheet of paper gap
Old 04-04-2012, 09:02 AM

Wow! I've not see them THAT close!

Not sure why that would be, were the old ones like that? They were as close as that???

I don't think that's right.....
Old 04-04-2012, 11:53 PM

yeah they were i did one side at a time ...i was wondering it they guy that had it before me put some beefer axles in or something
Old 04-05-2012, 09:41 PM

well just pulled the front end all apart and found a little needle roller bearing at the back of the wheel bearing the holds the axle at the end i would say and most of the needles have been turned to dust both side are the same way im guessing this is the problem...no grease so the bearing chewed itself up ....im hoping the bearing is changeable and dont have to replace the whole wheel bearing but i dout it
Old 04-06-2012, 05:18 AM

They are actually available separately

Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page
Old 04-06-2012, 05:44 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tristanlee85 Send a message via MSN to tristanlee85 Send a message via Yahoo to tristanlee85
Needle bearings aren't too difficult to replace. Use the link provided above to walk you though it. One thing I found that removing and installing the new bearing was much easier if I placed the hub in the freezer over night. Maybe even a few hours will work just enough to shrink the metal a little.

What brand of balljoints did you install? Only other thing I can think of is the c-clip under the lower ball joint wasn't install or got removed and the ball joint actually lifted up from the axle... just a thought.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:45 AM

i got the life time one from advanced and the c clips are there .....thanks for the link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.