Same old ABS, O/D flashing, speedo droped off - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 08:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Same old ABS, O/D flashing, speedo droped off

Not new to the forum (use it all the time for information), just new to posting.

The Vehicle is a 2001 F250, 7.3L 4X4 142,xxx miles. Exhibiting the standard Rear VSS problem. First visual inspection of the plug, wires, sensor all looked ok but I replaced the sensor anyway and none of the problems went away. Next, visually inspection of the tone ring through sensor hole by jacking up the rear diff and rotating the tires, it looks ok. Also, checked the ground by the drivers headlamp mentioned in a thread on here.

Let me back up, first the ABS light was just fading in and out randomly for almost a month and never left any codes behind, no other problems. Then the ABS light would stay on longer, and the speedo started bouncing. This lasted about a week. And this past weekend it gave all symptoms and has not gone away. During all of this I donít know if the service engine light came on at all, as it has been on for a glowplug problem that I have not had time to fix yet for the duration of this failure.

I could not get any codes from the ABS System because my scanner could not communicate with it. But there were no additional powertrain codes.

I am at a loss as to where to look now, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in andvance for anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 05:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Get on a better scanner, one that can communicate with the ABS (what are you using to scan with now?) and see what you get!

Best way to point you to what's wrong....
Old 03-15-2012, 05:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Let me rephrase that. My snap-on mt2500 is able to scan abs but I get an error when I try on my truck. It scans my wife's truck no problem.

Could this be caused by a faulty abs module?
Old 03-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No help anywhere? I really want to get this resolved this weekend and really don't want to go to a shop or dealer. Please give me some ideas.

Thanks

Sent from my C771 using AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-17-2012, 06:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Not sure what the communications problem with the module could be, you say "fading in & out" - is that right? Like the light actually "fades" in brightness? (never saw that) OR it's intermittently On & Off?

If it's a fade then maybe it's a power issue?

There is another sensor at the top of the trans that might be involved maybe. I donno, you should certainly still be able to communicate though... You've had a good look at the electrical plugs going to the ABS Module?

Does your truck have a Trans Temp Gauge in the cluster? (major revision to the electrical system in '01 and you're "revised" if you do)
Old 03-19-2012, 04:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Fixed- ish. I pulled my diff cover today to get a better look at the tone ring. It looked good, there was a little metal shavings in the oil but nothing bad. Cleaned everything up and put the cover back on. Put 3.5 qts of 75w140 in and and took it for a test drive. All symptoms are gone. About 20 min in the drive the abs light started flashing on again, but everything else works perfect.

So now I've got to get the scanner from my cousin and test the abs again.

Until then I'll entertain any other ideas as to what my cause this light to come on with nothing else.

Thanks

Old 03-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The dang symptoms are back. On my way back to work afternoon after launch the stupid Speedo dropped off, and o/d light started flashing again. This time though the speedo didn't even do the bounce or anything. This is really staring to frustrate me and I can't even figure out what's going on.

Please help, I'm out of ideas.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

To the top. Hopefully someone has advice on this.

Sent from my C771 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 06-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is there a resolution for this issue ? I'm having the same symptoms. All but the ABS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.