Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2005 super duty Harley addition 4x4 problem

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  ButtNuttN8 
#1 ·
So I live up in maine and we just got our first dusting of snow for the season and i went to put my truck in 4x4 and the light on the dash lights up but it deft not in 4x4. The hubs are auto lockers so i switched them to lock instead of auto and the same thing nothing. But i did hear a clanking rattling noise sounding like it was comming from the driver side wheel. What could be causing it to not lock in 4x4? is the hub bad? what should I look for iv never had a truck with switch for 4x4 or auto hubs.

Also I cant change the location of the heater it always blows defrost so i cant change it to vent or floor or any of that only blows out defrost towards window. Is the 4x4 switch vacum activated? if so i could have a vacum leak not allowing me to change that as well as not hookin 4x4.

any advice would be great it sure sucks driving in 2 wheel drive thanks

#2 ·
sounds like you do have a vacuum leak and they are related but I dont know where to tell you to start looking for it.

#4 ·
yup all i hear is a nasty clicking noise when i turn to 2wd noise goes away turn to 4wd clang clack so im thinkging my hub might be blown

#6 ·
oh yeah I found out the problem

the gears where stripped right out and junk

#8 ·
yeah not good because only get them from Ford they dont make em aftermarket :(

#11 ·
I replaced both locking hub assemblies. My Alternator died which inturn fired the FICM these trucks DO NOT like voltage all over the place. Than my wheel bearing went south I oreder one off line instead of the $750 from the Ford Dealer. That wheel hub assembly was faulty and took out my rim, tire, stub shaft and hubs agian. so $3k later I was done with front end of this truck and actually sold it. Tranny was slipping I was tired of dumping large amounts of money for a daily driver.

I miss this truck every day just too much $

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.