Wanting some opinions. ABS & VSS issues.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wanting some opinions. ABS & VSS issues..

Hello everyone,

New to the site and wanting some opinions. Having the infamous Dead speedo, ABS light on solid, and Flashing O/D light.
And it was not a simple cleaning or swaping of the VSS for my fix unfortunately....

So far I have changed the diff fluid, check inside the carrier, tone ring looks fine. Nothing out of the normal.

First cleaned the VSS..Nothing..Then went to Ford for a new Motorcraft VSS..still nothing..

Have checked the wiring, and gets power to the rear diff sensor once the truck is put in drive, went threw fuses all checked out fine.

And earlier tonight even swapped out the ABS module from my dad's working module from his F350...and still nothing!

Any input would be greatly appreciated!! This is my daily at the moment and can't really drop it off to sit at someone's shop or pay a crazy amount to fix it.
Truck is a 2000 F250 supercab xlt 7.3 auto with only rear abs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It's dangerous and I hated doing it, but jack up the rear hookup a oscilloscope to the VSS signal and give her some gass. You can view the signal and see if it's clean comming in or not.

You might also try checking the wire or even running a temporary wire to verrify the stock wire isn't open or short.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchuricht View Post
It's dangerous and I hated doing it, but jack up the rear hookup a oscilloscope to the VSS signal and give her some gass. You can view the signal and see if it's clean comming in or not.

You might also try checking the wire or even running a temporary wire to verrify the stock wire isn't open or short.
I did something similiar to that last night. Got a buddy to get in the truck, put it in drive, and used a test light to make sure I had power back there. And being a 2 prong plug, one was hot, one was not, which was the ground im assuming. I did not use a multi-meter. But i know I am getting some kind of current back there..
Old 08-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Tonight I kinda found out that there were two "speed sensors" Diff one is the ABS and the one on the top of the Trans is the Tranny speed sensor...Well swapped that off from my Dad's 4R100 but no luck again!
Old 11-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Know this thread is a few months old, but im having the same problems on my 2000 v10 f250. Did you every find a fix for your problem? Changed and cleaned all sensors but have not drained fluid and cleaned housing yet, but i have managed to get the speedo to work will 10mph then bounces and drops to zero with o/d flashing right after the fall to 0 mph.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey sorry for the late response, Haven't been keeping up with all me emails like I should. But I did end up getting it fixed thankfully. It was wiring issue, caused it to continually short out, which therefore, burnt up my rear speed abs sensor on the top of the diff.
I myself checked it just with a test light to ensure it was getting power, but apparently it was grounding out or surging somewhere. Ended up taking it to ford, after I had first replaced the vss sensor with no luck, my wiring problem caused that one to get fried too.
Honestly didnt cost me too much about $200 with the new sensor. Which was better then me hunting down shorted wire throughout the truck. The cause was from "rodents" getting into some of my wiring, thankfully that was all they got a hold too.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just had same problems.Replaced both sensors for less than a $100 and now i'm good. The one on top of the tranny is a fun one though.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow-junky View Post
I just had same problems.Replaced both sensors for less than a $100 and now i'm good. The one on top of the tranny is a fun one though.
Well yours sounded like an easy fix. So you had both sensors go bad at the same time im assuming? and yes getting to the one at the top of the trans is a total pain, especially swapping mine around from my working doner's truck then no difference. Just glad i didnt fry every sensor i plugged in when trying to get a diagnosis before taking it to ford.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

By any chance did you notice that the speedo needle would jump around when lets say you hit the window button or the door lock? This is driving me crazy and i dont want to take to dealer, the dealer here is a real douche. Did the dealer tell you where your problem wires were?

Last edited by 02whtmax; 01-18-2012 at 05:23 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02whtmax View Post
By any chance did you notice that the speedo needle would jump around when lets say you hit the window button or the door lock? This is driving me crazy and i dont want to take to dealer, the dealer here is a real douche. Did the dealer tell you where your problem wires were?
No mine quit all together just the next time i drove the truck it was completely dead. This was because it was a rodent issue the dealer told me. Which i can believe because we have found mice or squirrels tearing up the fire mats under the hood of my jeep before. So thankfully it was just somewhere under the truck and not inside on the main harness or anything too critical to operate.
Strangest part was mine was recieving current when i checked it but was just shorting out and spiking which destroyed the first oem sensor i replaced on my own.
Im guessing your having something shorting out too considering its interfering with other electrical operations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
vss problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.