2002 F-350 Rear End Help Needed!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
2002 F-350 Rear End Help Needed!!

Ok guys here she goes, I have a 2002 F-350 and when checking the fluid I found a good size sliver of metal so I took it to my buddies to investigate. I tore the yoke off, axel shafts part way out, and then the carriage, what seems to be the issue is the shim that goes on the front pinion in between the two bearings shredded, I found a bunch of metal chunks of the shim between the front and rear pinion bearings. There was even a 2" peace on the ring gear, so we pulled everything to inspect. I need one carriage bearing and race, but will change both, the ring gear looks good but here are my issues. 1. it appears the bearing that is pressed on the ring gear has "spun" on the pinion gear shaft, I don't know whether the shaft is spun or the bearing is spun, but it's for sure one or the other, there seems to be more discoloration on the inside of the bearing than on the shaft. 2. My buddy was checking the play or lash as he called it on the spider gears and he thought it was a little loose but that was comparing it to Mopar which is about all he has worked on rear end wise. He went to school for machining and does alot of work out of his garage mechanic wise and runs the local parts store. Does anyone know if the lash in the Fords normal has a little "play" or should it be tight as a nunn on sunday? I have a important camping trick on Friday so am hoping to get this figured out right away. If I need to replace all of the bearings, pinion, spider, and ring gears then I will, but don't want to spend the extra $$ if not needed. It is 373 gears also. All of the teeth look ok, the axel shaft splines look ok, just that shim chewed up and ruined a tine chip out of one of the carrier bearings and race. Best case scenario I am thinking change both carrier bearings and races and the pinion shim and bearing if the shaft is not spun. Thanks to anyone who took the time to read my book here and please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.