Front Axle- Ball joints - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front Axle- Ball joints

Help! I just spent 8 hours doing my left hand upper and lowers on my '06 F350.. I got new hub lock, wheel bearing, and knuckle seals, installing them with the proper tools. and I even regreased the hub bearings and splines on the axle shaft. On my test drive, I heard a tick, tick, tick and it started around 15mph and got louder as i got faster, when decelerating it would also be audible until i came to a complete stop and became audible again once i got to 15mph again..someone please tell me I did not mess up installing the axle shaft. The knuckle seal is fully seated in the knuckle like it should. help anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Manually lock the front hubs in and drive in a straight line until you get to 15+ mph and see if the noise is there. Did you use the special tool to drive the seal on the axle and into the knuckle?
Old 03-26-2011, 06:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
yes i did, I went to the dealership and the service tech was kind enough to let me borrow it until monday as long as i put a $350 deposit on it. The same one in my shop manuals. I also did notice when I switched into 4X4 one time with the ESOF, it went away for awhile after switching back in 2WD, and ever so slightly started back up again
Old 03-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Younger1993 View Post
yes i did, I went to the dealership and the service tech was kind enough to let me borrow it until monday as long as i put a $350 deposit on it. The same one in my shop manuals. I also did notice when I switched into 4X4 one time with the ESOF, it went away for awhile after switching back in 2WD, and ever so slightly started back up again
It sounds like something isn't seated properly but not sure. I just did all the ball joints on an 06 and didn't have an issue. Make sure the hubs are turned all the way to the auto setting.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
sure its not just the backing plate hitting some rust on the inside of the rotor hub? this is very common after having the rotor off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.