4x4 Help!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 4x4 Help!!

I am new on this site and am looking for some help. Here is the situation:

I have a 2001 f250 v10 4x4.

My 4x4 is not working.

The dash light turns on and you can hear the actuator engaged as it should when the knob is turned. Everything appears normal and SHOULD be working.

However, there is no 4x4.

Also, my heater system stays on when the key is off. I have to manually turn the switch to off to shut the heater blower off, it will not turn off when the key is turned off.

I have been reading posts about vacuum leaks in the system. I checked my hoses all the way going to the hub, the hoses were cracked and have been replaced. I have suction all the way to the hub. after replacing all the bad hoses, still no luck, no 4x4.

Also, both of my hubs are STUCK in the locked postion, they will not turn.

I have read about bad seals. I left one end of the hose connected to the hub and i was blowing in the other end, and there was no back pressure, it was like blowing through a straw. Does this mean the seals are bad? Do i need to replace both of my hubs? Does anyone recommed warn? if so, do they work with the vacuum system?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Couple of things......

First, if the hubs were stuck in the LOCKED position, then why do you think it's the hubs that might be the problem in getting you 4WD? You could get a quick idea if they're really locked by climbing under the truck and turning the ft driveshaft by hand (in 2WD).

If they were both locked you couldn't turn it. If you can, look at the U-Joints behind each wheel to see if one of them is turning. If it is, jam a long screwdriver in it and see if it either locks the driveshaft or makes the other U-Joint spin.

Next, if you can't move the hub selector at all then, they at least need to be pulled (easy job), cleaned, and re-greased.

Then to test each hub again and see how they are Locking-UnLocking you could then jack-up each side, one at a time, and watch the driveshaft.

With the TC in 2WD it should turn very predictably with the tire.

With the TC in 4WD you shouldn't be able to turn the wheel at all (unless the other side wasn't locked, but you'd see the U-Joint spinning over there too)

There's also the possibility the "shift motor" in the TC isn't actuating. This too can be pulled and checked for movement.

Also, I believe a Warn replacement would convert you to manual only hubs, I don't think there are vacuum actuated replacements except from Ford (I could be wrong....)

Not sure what the electric fan could have to do with all this, vacuum problems with heaters are about doors (to direct heat around) more than the fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.