front axle play - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
front axle play

While trying to figure out why the front hubs don't lock on my new (to me) 2000 4x4 with 7.3L I noticed that if i grab the drivers side u joint the axle has a lot of up and down play in it. I've searched the forum and found several posts that say this is normal but how much play is normal? The grease fitting in the upper ball joint has been damaged by contact with the axle and it actually touches the lower ball joint stud when just sitting. Seems a little excessive to me but I can't figure out what is supposed to be holding it in place. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
if you think its excessive then replace it, there is no set spec, but if you can move it freely with your hand id replace it.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
There's actually Not enough clearance for a grease fitting to the upper ball joint. Your truck came with a plug there, somebody put that fitting in and it, naturally, got taken-off by the U-joint (I pull that plug, temporarily install a fitting, grease the BJ, and put the plug back in)

So, if you're thinking that the play is excessive because of the broken fitting alone, it's not.

That being said, it still could be bad but, they're a pain to change (and not cheap either with the seal you have to replace in the hub) so Don't do it if you don't have to

Is there any rust around the caps? Binding when you steer sometimes? How's it compare to the other side?
Old 05-24-2010, 06:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NoRalPh: Thanks for the reply. Yes i was concerned that the zerk fitting had been taken out by the axle, the fact that it is not supposed to be there makes me feel a bit better.

Are you asking about the CV or U joint caps? There is no rust on the joint caps or binding in the steering. The CV joint appears tight, its the whole axle that is flopping around. The ball joints and front end (axle?) seals were supposedly replaced by a dealer.

The passenger side seems to have less play than the drivers side but the locking hub is stuck on that side. I need to pull the locking hubs on both sides and see what's up. I was just not happy when it seemed that I had serious axle problems.

Thanks
Old 05-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It was the caps I look for to have rust around them. Often, the earliest signs of trouble are as the pins in the caps start to grind-up they shed little particles that form that rust-ring.

I felt the same way as you did the first time I saw the U-joint in the Ft Axle moving up & down. I thought "Oh!, this can't be right...."

But Dana thinks so, and who am I to think differently??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.