help bad vibration coming from front end, driverside wheel locked up on highway - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 07:25 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation help bad vibration coming from front end, driverside wheel locked up on highway

so i had been using my 4x4 for the past 3days as i had been in the snow, it was really the first time ineed to use it, well after i took it out of 4x4 i got on the highway and everytime i hit a bump i would get a grinding/vibration coming from the outside of the front end (hubs rotors ujoints) then hit another bump in the road and it would go away so i continued driving and this did this a couple more times and then the driverside front locked up at 65mph for about 20ft then kept rolling but with the vibration again, so i pulled off the road and everything looked good so i kept going home as i was in the middle of nowhere, it made the vibration off and on a couple more times then the last couple miles i had the vibration contiuous until i slowed to under 20 and it went a way.

What is causing this? hubs? i have the auto lock hubs and ive heard they can lock up when they go out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2010, 07:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would say wheel bearings.
Jack up the front of the truck remove the brake calipers and pads spin the hub feel for any vibration or movment. and while you are at it inspect the brakes make sure they are wearing evenly on bolth sides. A good wheel bearing you should feel some resistance but smooth thru the whole rotation. Any easy or hard spots or a grinding or the least little bit of vibration or play reaplace. You may want to pull the locking hub off which just slides out with a snap ring check for exsesive play of the axel its self there is some but it should not be sloppy. Also while the hub is off look at the Ujoints make sure there is no play in them either.

Just a tip when putting the locking hub back in dont force it it will slide easy if you lift up on the universal joint just a tad.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:45 AM
Chapter Director

i jacked it up with the wheel on there yesterday and spun it and no vibrations or grinding all seemed good i will pull it all apart and see if the wheel bearing or the u joints,

i do know the front rotors are warped but that wouldnt cause any issues unless the breaks are applied
Old 04-06-2010, 08:06 AM

The wheel bering hub assembaly is made up of 2 bearing one youre wheel rides on the other you axel shaft rides in. if the iner gets worn to badlu youre universal could be contacting the ball joints. You best bet is to tear it all down and check for wear loose and sloppy parts.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Chapter Director

ok just took it apart and the axle it self moves up and down .5-1in and the ujoint was hitting the ball joints like you said so definately a bearing bothsids look bad,

so whats the fix? replace bearings? i have an early 99 ive heard they are more expensive so i may switch to the later hub and bearing assembly please help me out here this is my only vehicle and imo its not drivable this way
Old 04-06-2010, 08:50 AM

I would not drive it that way either. I am not sure on the early model 99. I had a late model 99 foure years ago i paid $270.00 a side.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Chapter Director

but it is the hub and bearing assembly causing the issue?

im planning on doing powerslots so i will just change the hubs to later and use the easierfound and cheaper later rotors

heres the hub assembly right?
00 Ford F250 Super Duty Front Hub Assembly 515025 New : eBay Motors (item 130379938475 end time May-01-10 16:38:47 PDT)
Old 04-06-2010, 09:25 AM

yep there is also axel seals that may need replacing to do so you need to pull the axel and the hub seal. What a pain that is.
Your Premiere Source for Ford Truck Parts and Accessories
Old 04-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Chapter Director

this is whats happening
YouTube - Ford f250 front axle play... is this bad?
driverside is this bad and passenger side isnt as bad

i guess i will need to drop the money on new hubs. they have both bearings in them? the needle bearing and outer sealed wheel bearing? then what seals are needed? part #'s ? also is there any special tools needed, i plan on doing this myself to save some money
Old 04-07-2010, 03:47 AM

That is pretty sloppy. The link i posted is for ball joints but thoes are the seals you need. I am including another link which is for ball joints but it has all the info you need just dont do the ball joint part.
Ford Super Duty Ball Joint Replacement Procedure | Superdutypsd.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.