Needle Bearing on Hub Bearing.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Needle Bearing on Hub Bearing..

Hey guys,
today on my ride into work there was a familiar groaning/grinding noise coming from the passenger side. last time this noise happened it was the needle bearing on the backside of the hub bearing assembly. i replaced the entire hub assembly,checked the axle shaft and found that there was a groove in it. i had full intentions of replacing the axle stub but time went by and here we are..a few months ago i changed over the hub lock outs to warn premium hubs. so i thought the axle shaft wouldnt spin unless the hubs were locked. i need some direction here. i know that the shaft needs to be replaced..ive called napa and they say they cant get a shaft, a few call to a couple junk yards came up with nothing, and i need to get this thing fixed. this is really a "going out on the limb rig" but could i safety wire the shaft up so it doesnt rotate on the needle bearing? i know this is NOT a fix but if i can limp it to the weekend when hopefully i can get parts and fix her up. any help is appreciated.

Last edited by PowerSTOKED_Bryan; 01-19-2010 at 05:00 PM. Reason: spelling (would to wouldnt)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2010, 01:10 AM

bump to the top
Old 01-19-2010, 02:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I don't think that's a good idea.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:19 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm confused.... What are you going to "wire-up"? I mean, if the hub IS locked you don't even Need a needle brg. as the axle will be spinning With the hub.

For the price of the stub axle, and what it will cost to put in with the new knuckle seal and U-Joint, I'd "dress" any edges on the axle and grease the crap out of it!

Even if the needle brg. failed in a year, for the $8 I could change it a few times
Old 01-19-2010, 04:59 PM

scratch the wire up method. lol ive decided thats a bad idea. i can use someone elses car till i get it fixed. the stub axle is 119 bucks, brand new, on ebay. the bearing i figure cant be more than 15 bucks? so for 150 bucks i will fix it and be done with it. i guess my question now is...whats the part number for the needle bearing???
Old 01-20-2010, 06:08 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Oh, you're not done buying parts yet!

To put the stub axle on you have to "beat apart" the U-Joint and, I can't imagine it being a good idea to put the old one back.... You're going to destroy the Knuckle Seal getting it out of the hub and it costs as much as the U-Joint ($50-$60)

The needle brg. part# is -> Ford-C6TZ-3123A / NAPA-B2110 (from Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page)

(just remembered - when you pull the axle you should replace the axle seal, at the outside of the tube, because again the cost of the knuckle seal is so high you don't want to go back for anything on the inside of it again)

Oh Yea, you're going to have to build a "Knuckle Seal Driver" to get in back in too!

Last edited by NoRalPh; 01-20-2010 at 06:36 AM. Reason: more "stuff"
Old 01-20-2010, 06:25 PM

thanks for the part number on the needle bearing! its funny, i just found it on that site before i read this post. looks like i better go to napa tomorrow and make sure they have all the parts in time for the stub's arrival... i totally forgot about those seals
Old 01-20-2010, 06:27 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
yeppp its a pita
Old 03-10-2010, 05:31 PM

PITA, I dont think it is. I can have both sides done in an hour and 15 minutes with no air tools.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:43 PM

wow i should have check around before i bought a whole new bearing to fix my problem which was only the needle bearing guess i know next time and wat is the knuckle seal there was nothing on either one of my shafts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.