Front wheel bearing Snap ring ??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Front wheel bearing Snap ring ???

I am in the middle of replacing my axle u-joints and the axle outer dust seals but I cannot get the snap ring off to allow me to slide the wheel bearing, off. I have just a normal set of snap ring pliers and those are not hackin' it, they don't seem to open up enough.... Does anybody have any tips or tricks for getting this off? or is there a super hardcore set of snap ring pliers out there I should pick up?... Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2009, 09:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

bump... still can't get that mo fo off...
Old 12-18-2009, 09:58 AM
aluminum tubing engineer

yup, go get the good pliers...dunno if autozone carries em though.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to ABoyAndHisToys
I've ripped mine apart several times. AZ has the set of pliers for 10bucks with the different sizes.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks guys, I just got it off... I feel I'm now in a position to give a review of dang near every brand of snap ring pliers out there:

Lisle "snap ring pliers": Broke in about 30 seconds. Has the small replaceable tips for different type rings... I returned it, luckily they have a warranty

Ultra steel snap ring pliers: Bent in about 45 seconds. These are about as cheap as you can go, but my options were limited. They didn't even open the ring enough to get it off the axle shaft.

Channel-lock brand snap ring pliers: I was really excited about these but they didn't work because they are too bulky to fit between the axle shaft and the hub housing... so they wouldn't work either

Irwin: I didn't even take this out of the package, I could tell once i got it home that it was also too bulky to fit between the shaft and the housing... strike 4 it looks like

Lisle "lock ring pliers": these worked as advertised and have been very durable, but weren't able to open the snap ring enough to get it over the axle shaft... strike 5

Snap On "lock ring pliers": JACKPOT!! the tips are small enough to actually fit inside the snap ring holes, they are VERY strong and don't flex at all... got the ring off in about 45 seconds... THANK YOU SNAP ON DUDE!!

I hope this can be helpful to somebody, save your money, go right for the snap on brand (they were about $42) I spent over $100 on all the other brands, so take my advice... bite the bullet, get snap on.

Thanks for the advice guys
Old 12-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i have this pliers with interchangable tips. First one broke just when I tried to get the ring. The second tip didnt broke, but I cost me a lot of time and I had to be very carefull not to brake it. I finally was able to change my wheel bearing, but im buying a good new set of pliers. I´ll check for this Snap on pliers.
Thanks
arriero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.