Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

new to drag

2K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  Tyler 
#1 ·
im gonna be draggin for the first time at cordova illinois on april 25 in the NHRDA sportsman class for the first time. got basically a stock 01 f350 with straight pipe and resistor mod. (2.2k). what should i do to improve my truck for this? gauges, tuner? will the resistor give me enough power for what i need?

#2 ·
If it's the sportsman's class it should be bracket racing, so theoretically if you are consistent you could get a few guys to push it down the track and you could still win. However, a chip will make a BIG difference in available power. Don't forget to get gauges first though. Gotta know what is going on. It's a good idea even if you don't get the tuner anyway.
-Aaron

#3 ·
so u sayin power dont matter its just reaction time basically?

#4 ·
Yep, if it's like our sportsman's class here, it's all about running as close to your dial in as possible without breaking out, and having as close to perfect reaction time. Consistency is key. I see you have a manual, that makes it much harder, but it can be done. You just have to pay attention and shift exactly the same time, exactly the same way.
-Aaron

#5 ·
they let me have a 2.2 resistor? and pay attention to what?

#6 ·
Glad to see you're going to Cordova, I'll be there too. Bracket racing is basically racing against yourself, you're running against your own dial in time. Once you're done with your practice runs you will take a number from that and that will be your "dial in". When in actual competition you want to run as close to an ET as your dial in WITHOUT GOING FASTER, or "breaking out" as its called. It doesn't matter how fast or slow you run, its all about consistency. IIRC if your time is between a 12.0 and 20.0 quarter you can run in the brackets. You're good to go. Keep in mind you need to be an NHRDA member to race in that event. It costs $40 for a membership for the year and will be good at ANY NHRDA sponsored event. This is on top of the $35 racing fee for the sportman ET class. You may join the day of the event or online at NHRDA - National Hot Rod Diesel Association - NHRDA Look forward to meeting you at Cordova!!!

#11 ·
Yeah, I'm planning on it.

u thinkin my truck will run between 12 and 20? im thnkin so
I'm guessing around 18 for you.

#10 ·
u thinkin my truck will run between 12 and 20? im thnkin so

#14 ·
The resistor mod is a nice small bump and all, but you really need to step in to the world of a custom tuned flip chip... You'll be glad when you do. It's a whole different animal. Also if you don't have it done yet, get rid of the stock airbox on your truck, they're terrible. If you want to do it cheap, do the DIY intake with the napa 6637 filter. There's a write up for the DIY intake in the 7.3 tech files here on the site.

#16 ·
I'm planning on it, yes.

#17 ·
i talked to the guy at black widow diesel in center point and asked him about that mod(the diy intake) and he said hes had some ppl that did that and got a lot of crap in their engines. it shouldnt happen if i do it right, Right?

#19 ·
You talked to Brian? Just a word of advise to you. I wouldn't buy a cup of water from him if I was thirsty... I can explain more later, like at the cordova race. I'd have to type a novel to get it all on here. Just beware, that man is a great salesman. He could talk you out of the shirt on your back and sell it back to you 5 minutes later for 10 times what you paid for it and make you think you got a deal...

#20 ·
haha k ill have to find u there. just did the intake and its runnin great. its a smaller filter though cuz noone had the one on the write up. my old k+n was coated in grease and chit. runs way better now.

#21 ·
o yea and if i do the zoodad mod should i put a piece of screen in it so it doesnt go to the intake?

#22 ·
I've got one on mine, but it's more of a preference thing. You'll be fine with or without a screen.

#23 ·
New to Drag

Oh, drag racing. You had me worried at first. :hehe::hehe::hehe:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.