13.90? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Drag Talk/Racing Lets see them slips, How To's, FAQs

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 06:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
13.90?

I'm new to the site but not new to wrenching and drag racing. (my old talon ran low 12's). I've got an '03 7.3 supercab 4x4. The only mod so far is a DIY intake. I'm really wanting to hit a 13.90. I daily drive the truck and have no aspirations for anything quicker. I've watched a couple youtube vids from powerstrokehelp.com and was thinking of ordering them. (Seemed like a wealth of knowledge) I was leaning towards SCT livewire so I don't need gauges or maybe SF3? As for an exhaust it's a toss up I'd like a 4" because it is a daily driver and it wouldn't be overwhelming but a 5" would sound BA. From what I've read there is no performance gain but I don't know if it's true. I'm not sure of which brand but a lot of people seem to run MBRP. What about magnaflo, rbp, or silverline. I know it is a lot of questions but any help would be great. Like I said I'm looking to run 13.90's or so, any suggestions to get me there is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 06:47 PM

First of all, I hope you have a couple bucks to spare. The 7.3 is a work horse rather than a race motor. It takes alot more money to run those times then the 6.0's and 6.4's.
My truck is no where near that quick but I know you will need, a bigger turbo, Large injectors, custom tune, and depending on what tranny you have, (automatic) either a built tranny or a valve body and strong torque converter. Those are the big things, you will probably need a few other things here and there. Depending on the power you are pushing, you will also need stronger rods as the year truck you have came with pmrs. Other guys should chime in who have actually completed this, they will probably know the exact formula and give much more information on this. Best of luck to ya.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:01 PM

The powerstrokehelp.com guy speaks out of his azz. As for a tuner I would do a DP or TW chip. For exhaust they are pretty much all the same except for the tip. I have an RBP and MBRP exhaust and I would go with the MBRP because the fit is nice and the clamps are nice as well. But if you on a budget the lowest cost stainless kit will do fine. Don't forget about gauges. You'll want Boost, Pyrometer, and tranny temp. I don't know if this will get you into the high 13's but you'll deffinitly want a TW or DP chip. Raul@stealthautomotive is a site vendor/sponsor and can help you out with purchases.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:04 PM

Links for chips and stealth automotive:

DP tuner - DP-Tuner
TW - http://www.totaldieselperformance.com/
Raul@Stealthautomotive - Stealth Automotive Inc
Old 03-03-2009, 07:05 PM

1+ on the TW chip and steathautomotive raul is a good guy
Old 03-03-2009, 07:11 PM

Sounds like my aspirations are still a little high. I didn't know it took that much to get this truck into the 13's. Maybe I should shoot for 14's. Guess I should have got a 6.0. Well at least it should last for 500k!
Old 03-03-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANK. View Post
Sounds like my aspirations are still a little high. I didn't know it took that much to get this truck into the 13's. Maybe I should shoot for 14's. Guess I should have got a 6.0. Well at least it should last for 500k!
That's not a lot of stuff. I just wrote a lot. A TW or DP chip and any 4" stainless exhaust is a good start to get things going. You've already got an intake so thats out of the way. You'll need supporting mods though. Stuff like gauges to monitor temps and a John Woods or BTS valve body to hold the tranny together for a little longer. As for the 6.0 it would drive you crazy.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:23 PM

Well I guess the DSM catch phrase applies to this as well:

CHEAP, FAST, RELIABLE... PICK TWO.

So really a TW or DP over SCT with a custom tune on it. I kind of liked the SCT livewire because it had the gauges build into this screen (just need to link to EGT, oil pressure, and tranny temp sensors to it). I do like the SCT SF3 too. TW and DP look kind of *****y like an old radio shack knob glued to your dash. I'm not saying it won't work they just look cheap. I guess I'll have to do a little more reading.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Ole White

the SCT is the best for a 6.0 but the 7.3's run the best with a Custom tuned chip DP, TW, DI, Swamps, BTS take your pick
Old 03-04-2009, 04:32 PM

Ok well I'm leaning towards DP I'll need to do a little more research about which will produce the most power. I need to look in to "supporting" mods too. We'll see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.