Wheels and Slicks??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Drag Talk/Racing Lets see them slips, How To's, FAQs

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2007, 12:00 AM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
Wheels and Slicks???

OK, with the MasonDixon Meet coming up, just for S's and G's, I started looking for slicks. Take into account here that Brisco is by no means fast enough for the NEED of slicks....but you can't tell me it wouldn't be cool. So, I looked. The only thing I can find in a 16" diameter are 10" wide or wider slicks. So, I'm thinking of going with a 15" wheel. Now, will a 15" wheel clear the break calipers and the suspension (front and rear)??? I've found some used slicks in every conceavable size for a 15" wheel for pretty cheap.

I've also flirted with looking into getting some stock steely wheels from the Junk Yard and some stocker tires to lower the weight and the ratio...getting more power to the ground and potentially getting me lower times.

So??? Anyone with any advise or direction? Am I just talking crazy? Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2007, 11:17 AM
lukecline

there is no way in the world you need slicks with your mods, not to mention slicks are not ment for 8000 lb trucks.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Banned

I agree with Luke. You don't need slicks, just some stock size wheels & tires. With a 4x4 launch, you should have plenty of traction. It's just the size and weight of the 35s that are holding you back.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I wouldn't think you would need them with 4wd, now me on the other hand I desperately need them
Old 06-22-2007, 04:04 PM

I know I don't NEED them....but if I could get 'em cheap...it would at least be cool to show up with 'em in the bed. I'm sure everyone would be like "WTF??!!" while I'm in the pits swapping my 35's with 30" slicks. LOL.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yeah it would be pretty neat!
Old 06-23-2007, 06:22 AM
lukecline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditty View Post
I know I don't NEED them....but if I could get 'em cheap...it would at least be cool to show up with 'em in the bed. I'm sure everyone would be like "WTF??!!" while I'm in the pits swapping my 35's with 30" slicks. LOL.
you'd look like a ricer if you pulled up to the track and put slicks on an 17 sec truck.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Lord Tauk Send a message via AIM to Lord Tauk
As an alternative, you might want to look into Mickey Thompson's Sportsman tires, and their ET Street Radials. You'll need to find wheels for anything over 28'' since most from what I see are in the 15'' wheel, few in the 16s, and the non-slicks are even up to 18''.

Hoosier doesn't have any tires in the sizes you're looking at besides Drag and cheater slicks, and I'm not sure what M&H has to offer.

You'll need a driveshaft loop for slicks (safety inspected), and you'll probably want traction bars of some sort - assuming you're only buying 2 and launching in 2WD. I don't know how slicks would be on a PSD, not sure if you'd want to put tubes in them - if you do, you'd need get screws that go into the tire and the wheel because you'd destroy the tubes if the wheel spun inside the slick.

Properly setup tire that isn't too big for your power can help you, but if it's worth it on a PSD, I dont know. I'm no expert, just my opinion. Track prep will also play a good role in your new tires as well.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:04 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukecline View Post
you'd look like a ricer if you pulled up to the track and put slicks on an 17 sec truck.
LMFAO...

Ditty... spend your money on REAL performance!

Look at dockboy - no slicks.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:07 PM

I was just flirting with the Slicks idea. I'm not going to do it....until I have my 4wd project drag 7.3L. Thanks for the lengthy write up though.

LordTauk: Your going to be at Cecil Co on the 11th right? I'll get you that straight pipe then!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.