DP-Tuner on my 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
DP-Tuner DP Tuner

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Carbon huffing animal

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DP-Tuner on my 6.0

Okay, gonna try to keep a bit of a log here and report on my two tunes.

Will update my sig accordingly too when I get my other laptop back....

So, just received my SCT X3 tuner, and sent the strategies to Jody. There were two, was that normal??

Anyway, just had a 4" Cat Back exhaust, no muff, installed yesterday and will upload tunes as soon as I get them from Jody.

I'm getting the 80 Econo, and the 60 Tow. Plan on running the 80 Econo as the daily driver tune.

Right now, pre tune/exhaust, on a full interstate steady 70 MPH run, I can push right at 19 MPG. (hand calculated) Hoping for close to 22 now. Fingers crossed........

Thanks to Jody! Thanks for talking with me on the phone and setting me up right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixStringMadness View Post
Okay, gonna try to keep a bit of a log here and report on my two tunes.

Will update my sig accordingly too when I get my other laptop back....

So, just received my SCT X3 tuner, and sent the strategies to Jody. There were two, was that normal??

Anyway, just had a 4" Cat Back exhaust, no muff, installed yesterday and will upload tunes as soon as I get them from Jody.

I'm getting the 80 Econo, and the 60 Tow. Plan on running the 80 Econo as the daily driver tune.

Right now, pre tune/exhaust, on a full interstate steady 70 MPH run, I can push right at 19 MPG. (hand calculated) Hoping for close to 22 now. Fingers crossed........

Thanks to Jody! Thanks for talking with me on the phone and setting me up right!

You are welcome! Thank you for taking the time to post.

Diane
Old 12-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Carbon huffing animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYa View Post
You are welcome! Thank you for taking the time to post.

Diane
Well I ran the 80HP Econo tune for a little over three days and $100 worth of fuel. I just could not adjust myself to some of the actions of the tuning. The power was nice, the shifting under acceleration was good and strong, but deceleration is quite vigorous and at times startling. Letting of the throttle to coast led to a hard jerk as what I assume is the TC unlocking. Additionally riding in any sort of traffic is difficult to manage, as some shifts are very harsh, so much so that my passengers would look out the window to look for what large item I may just have run over (except I didn't run over anything).

I started a dialog with Jody Monday about these items, and have been unsuccessful today in hearing back from him.

There are more things I like about the tuning than the things I don't, but the things I don't are frustrating enough to return to stock tuning.

I hoping I didn't just toss $50 in the wind...

I'm an engineer, and I can talk about, and as deep with as many details as one would like to discuss, I just need someone to discuss them with.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My tunes shift very rough as well on my 7.3
The race tune is so rough it can make you chip a tooth.
However, when I called DP about it they said to send it right back and they'll fix it for me. Good customer service over there even if they are super busy.

So now i really have no one to blame but myself for not having pulled the chip out yet.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Carbon huffing animal

I'm not really blasting anyone, it is the holidays, and lots of folks are shopping.

I just want to be sure I haven't been forgotten.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Well I ran the 80HP Econo tune for a little over three days and $100 worth of fuel. I just could not adjust myself to some of the actions of the tuning. The power was nice, the shifting under acceleration was good and strong, but deceleration is quite vigorous and at times startling. Letting of the throttle to coast led to a hard jerk as what I assume is the TC unlocking. Additionally riding in any sort of traffic is difficult to manage, as some shifts are very harsh, so much so that my passengers would look out the window to look for what large item I may just have run over (except I didn't run over anything).

I started a dialog with Jody Monday about these items, and have been unsuccessful today in hearing back from him.

There are more things I like about the tuning than the things I don't, but the things I don't are frustrating enough to return to stock tuning.

I hoping I didn't just toss $50 in the wind...

I'm an engineer, and I can talk about, and as deep with as many details as one would like to discuss, I just need someone to discuss them with.

It should not be a hard neck snapping jerk in any of the tunes.

Unless...

Let me ask a few questions.

What size tires do you have?
What are you using the tune for? Hauling, driving empty, full throttle launches.

It should not be like this. I drive a 2005 6.0 Ex and use the 80 hp econo exclusively. My truck does not act like this.

On the torqueshift 5r110 the transmission has a learning period to when you reprogram the PCM with a different tune each time.

If you load the tune and then take off hard the TCM will think this is how you drive the truck all the time and remember it.

What I suggest is return to stock, drive it for a while easy and then reload the tune a few days later. Drive it easy and then let us know how it does. After the initial learning period you can do full throttle driving and the trans will do better.

Diane
Old 12-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Tagged.....

(edited)......Diane you can leave my post be, not sure if you noticed the "mod" status, but DP-tune threads tend to get heated, just letting the members know I'm here.....thanks!

Last edited by TwinTurboStroker; 12-07-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
I'm not really blasting anyone, it is the holidays, and lots of folks are shopping.

I just want to be sure I haven't been forgotten.
Did not forget you. When you posted we were out of town at the PRI trade show. I did not check the forums until yesterday.

Jody is still plugging away responding to emails from the weekend.

Diane

Last edited by SeeYa; 12-07-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:52 AM
Carbon huffing animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboStroker View Post
Tagged.....

(edited)......Diane you can leave my post be, not sure if you noticed the "mod" status, but DP-tune threads tend to get heated, just letting the members know I'm here.....thanks!
I have no intention of getting heated, unless I get outright shafted. We're not anywhere close to that as far as I can tell.... You're welcome to talk to Tom and/or Grayson, they know me, and know that I would not start anything that wasn't warranted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYa View Post
Did not forget you. When you posted we were out of town at the PRI trade show. I did not check the forums until yesterday.

Jody is still plugging away responding to emails from the weekend.

Diane
I heard from Jody last night, he informed me you lost internet service.

FYI. I drive my truck like an average adult would drive a truck they would like to last the next 300k miles. I do not have issue with most of the shifting. Quick firm shifts are my preferred shifts. It's the unrefined, sometime barbaric shift management during certain traffic conditions. The jerk after letting off the throttle to decelerate, before applying the brake.

The upshifting of tow/haul mode, with lower shift points is my ideal scenario. Deceleration of tow/haul mode is not necessary in my book for my day to day driving, but without knowing the programming parameters, it's difficult for me to describe what I want out of decel shift management.

I'm an engineer, and can talk tech with the best of them. I would like to have the opportunity to talk the options over.

Jody just sent me an email with an updated tune. I will load it, and give it a run. I'm going to Bean's this weekend, so that gives me a good opportunity to give it a good long run test.

I'll report the results later.

Last edited by SixStringMadness; 12-08-2011 at 04:56 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboStroker View Post
Tagged.....

Thanks! I wasn't concerned with it getting heated and it didn't seem to be heading that way at all. I'm offering my own knowledge here.

Just a little about me- I don't just answer the phone here and just take messages for Jody. After working side by side him for 8 years I know a thing or two. Driving these trucks as my daily drivers have helped me understand a lot about the tuning and how these trucks are. First my 2005 6.0 Harley truck then my 7.3 EX and now my 6.0 Ex. Not to mention all of Jody's trucks.

Post that are made here on the forums will be answered by me. Jody doesn't have extra time to post. Although I can moderate our section too,I do appreciate you being here. I don't get to check all 12 forums we sponsor on a daily basis.

Diane

Last edited by SeeYa; 12-08-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.