F6 won't work w/ my computer.? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
DP-Tuner DP Tuner

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question F6 won't work w/ my computer.?

So, I can't get my computer to recognize the chip. I misplaced the cable that I was provided with when ordering the chip so I'm making use of one normally used to connect my printer... it is a USB 2.0 cable. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I installed the driver and software ... I don't get any indication that I've connected a device whenever I plug the USB cable between the two. The switch does begin to operate though ... so it is getting power from the computer.

I also have Linux. I know the software won't operate on Linux but ... whenever I run 'lsusb' (which should show me a list of all connected USB devices) nothing shows up for the chip.

Any ideas?
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2009, 03:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraph View Post
So, I can't get my computer to recognize the chip. I misplaced the cable that I was provided with when ordering the chip so I'm making use of one normally used to connect my printer... it is a USB 2.0 cable. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I installed the driver and software ... I don't get any indication that I've connected a device whenever I plug the USB cable between the two. The switch does begin to operate though ... so it is getting power from the computer.

I also have Linux. I know the software won't operate on Linux but ... whenever I run 'lsusb' (which should show me a list of all connected USB devices) nothing shows up for the chip.

Any ideas?
The only thing to do now is call Jody and let him know what is going on. There is way for him to take over your computer and see what is going on. He has used this system many times in his IT days and it will allow him to install everything for you.

Go to our website here. You must have high speed internet installed on the computer you are using to install the F6 software to allow Jody to link up to your computer.

We'll get this going for you.

Diane
Old 12-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Serving Our Country!

I understand the software you are talking about but I can assure you that the issue is not with my installation of the CDM drivers or the DP-Tuner utility. I even went to FTDI Chip Home Page (referred by Moates site) to get the newest version of CDM (to ensure it supports Windows 7 64-bit, which it claims to)... but the problem is not even with the CDM driver at all.

The issue is that the computer quite simply does not detect a USB device being present when I connect it to the chip. I know how to check at the lowest level if a device is even connected and it does not register at all. The drivers that need to be installed are only useful once the computer actually detects the device. I have tried it on all USB ports on two different computers ... both computers verified to be working with other USB devices ... and the USB cable verified to be working with another device.

While the computer does not see the chip ... the chip gets something from being connected ... it gets power from the USB. When I have the key off and connect the computer to the chip ... the switch turns on and I can switch through programs.

I will take out the chip tomorrow and make absolutely certain that every connector is properly seated. I'll keep you advised. I sure hope this doesn't turn out to be another failed chip like my F5 did.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Scraph,

You question can be handled promptly. You will need to contact Jody to determine what is happening.

To answer your last question. Electronics do sometimes fail. I'f there is anything wrong with the hardware it will be replaced at no charge.

Please contact Jody after 12 Est today to find out what is going. He's out of the office this morning.

On Edit: Spoke to Jody and he read your post. He knows what it is and asks that you reinstall the old version of windows in the interm. Our Windows 7 won't be here until today. We will need to test it for compliancy with the F6 software and determine if a firmware update will be be necessary. Hopefully it won't need it and we'll get this going asap.

Last edited by SeeYa; 12-03-2009 at 04:08 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Serving Our Country!

Disregard. I pulled the chip out and found that the USB cable on the chip was not fully seated. I gave it a good wiggle and a push and it's working just fine now. With that dilemma past me ... what would be involved in getting transmission tuning taken out of my tunes? I'm not talking about shift points and TC lock-up and all that ... I want the shift strategies still. I just installed a Factory Tech Valve Body and don't want line pressures raised for shift firmness.

Thanks,
Matt

Edit: On www.ftdichip.com, the manufacturer has released a new version of the driver (2.06.00) to provide Windows 7 support. That is the driver that I have been using. I'm not sure what luck you've had with the version of the driver you post on your website but I can tell you this version works.

Last edited by scraph; 12-03-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Awesome!!!

Very easy, email Jody at Jody@dp-tuner.com and he'll set the tunes up for the ftvb and send them to you.

Diane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.