Toyo's or BFG's - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Discount Tire Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Toyo's or BFG's

Hey I just checked out your site. I'm looking in the very near future for tires. I have a 2005 F-350 with a 2.5 inch leveling kit.

I'm thinking about a 325/65/18 tire or similiar size. I looked into the BFG ATs and I was reading about the reviews. It don't look too promising. But I'm kinda of thinking maybe a Toyo MT. But I'm not sure if you sell those or not.

I need a tire that will be able to handle a fifth wheel, to go off-road, and good thread life. I don't want something that's only going to last 20,000 miles and be junked.

Maybe you have some ideas?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Serving Our Country!

i have A/Ts and i dont care for them much. i would go with the M/T
Old 03-12-2009, 10:59 PM

Ive had bfg AT's, pro comp MTs, and currently have toyo MT's. Heres my take...BFG's werent that good off road. They were the only tire I have ever gotten stuck in wet grass with (Right?!). They ran for a long time...45000 ish with abuse. They were quiet on the road, and of the three they were the best riding tire and nice for trips. The procomp was easily the best offroad. YES better than the toyo. They saw quite a bit of mud time and still werent too noisy. They wore quicker though, I got maybe 35000 mi. I liked them and would do it again if i were in the dirt more. They toyos I have now are alright. Definitely the coolest looking but they ride worse than the procomps and the BFG's. They dont have that swamper howl to them on the freeway but there is a strange whine that they emit non stop. it gets annoying sometimes but you get used to it. They handle well on the street, have little sidewall flex, and as far as performance goes, are about the closest you can get to an AT while still looking like an MT. They would probably be my choice for towing just because they have the highest load rating, although the transmit pretty much anything from potholes to pens right to the seat of your pants. Choice is personal, its pretty much A. Ride Well B. Dirt Performance or C. Look Cool
Old 03-12-2009, 11:01 PM

Big Red, why don't you like your AT's? I had a set on my 99 explorer, it was a good set, and lasted awhile. But after reading that some of guys running diesels were having a shorter tire life. Is that same for you?

Thanks
Old 03-12-2009, 11:04 PM

RedDye, thanks for the response. Note taken. I do tow alot. But getting stuck in wet grass with BFG's? I bet you were hoping that no one seen you..........LOL
Old 03-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Serving Our Country!

i agree with reddye01. i know what you mean about getting stuck in wet grass. but they do ok in the snow. but its the first and last time i will get an A/T
Old 03-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipewelder71 View Post
Big Red, why don't you like your AT's? I had a set on my 99 explorer, it was a good set, and lasted awhile. But after reading that some of guys running diesels were having a shorter tire life. Is that same for you?

Thanks

there just not a good tire for off road. i hate getting out to lock the hubs in on flat ground. they last a good long time if you keep them on the road but i grew up on a ranch and they get chewed up fast on gravel
Old 03-13-2009, 01:46 AM

all i know is i love my toyos m/t. probably more expensive and might not last as long but they do everything well
Old 03-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipewelder71 View Post
Hey I just checked out your site. I'm looking in the very near future for tires. I have a 2005 F-350 with a 2.5 inch leveling kit.

I'm thinking about a 325/65/18 tire or similiar size. I looked into the BFG ATs and I was reading about the reviews. It don't look too promising. But I'm kinda of thinking maybe a Toyo MT. But I'm not sure if you sell those or not.

I need a tire that will be able to handle a fifth wheel, to go off-road, and good thread life. I don't want something that's only going to last 20,000 miles and be junked.

Maybe you have some ideas?

Thanks,
We currently do not mail order the Toyo brand. We carry Nitto, which is owned by Toyo. It sounds like an all terrain is the best option for you. The Nitto Terra Grappler would be a great tire to consider. It has a very similar tread pattern to the Toyo Open Country AT so it will handle well off road and will ride smooth and quiet on road. You can expect around 30K miles plus out of these tires. If you want something with higher milage, I think the BFG All Terrain T/A KO would be a great option. This tire has been around for a very longtime and lives up to it's reputation. Here's a link with all the options we have for you in the 325/65-18 size.
Tire Options
We currently do not inventory the BFG A/T in this size, but we can certainly special order it for you

I hope this information helps.

Last edited by Discount Tire; 03-14-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to Nally7.3Powerstroke
I had the BFG A/t on my truck before I got the lift and I did like them. They did spin pretty easy though will all that torque. I have the Toyo M/Ts now and love them. they are not waring fast and they hook up amazing. I just pulled a UPS truck out of a snow bank with them the other week and had no problem with traction. Either are good but I prefer the Toyos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.