Mileage difference? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Discount Tire Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2010, 06:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mileage difference?

How much will mileage drop just by changing from a stock sized road tire to a stock sized mud tire? I'm not looking for exact numbers, just an idea (1-2mpg)???
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 07:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Thank you for the post Shinny.

Mud tires typically have more rolling resistance and also weigh more which will affect the MPG. I would anticipate a 1-2 MPG change but it all depends on the Mud tire you go with.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:58 PM

just stay away from remington mud bruts they wear like sh** i had a set and i had em for about 6-7 months and they were almost bald, and that was on a 3/4 ton, but your looking at 1-3 mpg diff.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Just swithed from Nitto All Terrains, to Toyo Mud Terrains, and haven't noticed a bit of difference. Stock sizes of course.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Premium Member

I changed from the stock 275/70-18 to Hankook Dynapro MT 325/70-18 which is the same diameter as the factory tire and lost 5-6 mpg due to the added rolling resistance.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:02 PM
Serving Our Country!

I lost about 1 -2 mpg. Same size, same load range. I went from a Mesa AT on the bakc and Transfomer HT on the front, to the Wrangle Autority AT on all 6. These tires so far sound like a AT but have the looks of a MT. Not bad so far, but still lost about 1-2 MPG.

This is what I had, 235-85-16 LRE
Old 05-26-2010, 06:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Almost no difference at all. Most people forget to add in the added difference in tire size when computing mpg. I know when I went from 285/75/17(stock) to 35 inch mud tires i saw no difference and maybe even a little better mileage. But what you need to figure in is that those 35's are almost 10% larger than your stocks. So when your odometer says 400 miles you actually went 440 miles. On 24 gallons thats the difference of getting 16.6mpg or 18.3mpg. Thats a big difference. Plus with the larger tire size you'll actually have lower RPM's at cruising speed so that will help your mpg.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to AaronATX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99stackedpowerstroke View Post
just stay away from remington mud bruts they wear like sh** i had a set and i had em for about 6-7 months and they were almost bald, and that was on a 3/4 ton, but your looking at 1-3 mpg diff.
i dunno, a good buddy of mine has had a set of those on his f150 for about 2 years now and they still have about 50% tread left.. and his truck is a daily driver.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:29 PM

really????!!!! mine was a daily driver f250 long bed and they wore like crap they did great in the mud just didnt last me long and i didnt do burn outs or anything like that.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:42 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstem@comcast.net View Post
I changed from the stock 275/70-18 to Hankook Dynapro MT 325/70-18 which is the same diameter as the factory tire and lost 5-6 mpg due to the added rolling resistance.
They're the same rim diameter, but the overall diameter is significantly bigger on the Hankook. The stockers are 33.1574803 in and the Hankooks are 35.9133858 in. Give or take a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06reddragon View Post
Almost no difference at all. Most people forget to add in the added difference in tire size when computing mpg. I know when I went from 285/75/17(stock) to 35 inch mud tires i saw no difference and maybe even a little better mileage. But what you need to figure in is that those 35's are almost 10% larger than your stocks. So when your odometer says 400 miles you actually went 440 miles. On 24 gallons thats the difference of getting 16.6mpg or 18.3mpg. Thats a big difference. Plus with the larger tire size you'll actually have lower RPM's at cruising speed so that will help your mpg.
It takes more energy to get the bigger, heavier tire moving so in town or on short trips it normally costs 1-2 mpgs, but on long highway trips you may actually pick up a 1 mpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.