Diesel Performance Products

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-04-2006, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 7.3 AT Weak Link

I just bought a 02, 90k mi. with an automatic, if I start pushing modifications to improve performance, what is the first thing I am going to break? I assume it will be the transmission but would like to know what to watch out for. I will never be towing anything that will really load it hard. But I do expect to make it get up go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

If I had to venture a guess itd be tranny or torque converter. I'd get a temp gauge for it, a big cooler, and keep up with service. Also, make sure you run a pyrometer, so as not to fry the turbo.

'96 F250 4x4 Ext Cab, 5 speed. K&N FIPK - modified to use 6637; 3" downpipe, 6" stack; Beans modded IDM; Beans stage 2s; shimmed FPR; exhaust brake; 6 position TS; locked 4.10s
'93 F250 4x4 regular cab long box. 7.3IDI nonturbo/E4OD 8' Western. STAYING STOCK
'65 Pontiac Tempest, 406ci chevy small block, TH350 with shift kit, 2700 stall converter.
'01 HD XL1200S - Lots of Screamin Eagle goodies
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'96 Tbird LX V8

Progressive loves me
post #3 of 6 Old 10-04-2006, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My thoughts as well, recommendation on exhaust, this was where I was going to start, then EGT, then chip it.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-29-2006, 10:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I Would Say Start At The Tranny And Egt's Also. If You Want To GO All Out There Are Steps To Take To Get A Better And Safer End Resort. First Start With Gauges And A Trans Cooler Then Chip, Intake And Exhaust Then Put A Valve Body In Your Tranny Or If You Got Money To Spend Buy A Fully Built Tranny. Then Go Turbo, Injectors, Methenol System Then The Only Thing Is Left Is Build Your MotOr And Thats A Whole Other Project.

Last edited by bigred99; 11-29-2006 at 10:24 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-29-2006, 11:08 PM
<<---"Shadow"---

Send a message via Yahoo to sea71
I also have an 02 and was leary about the tranny. The TC is the culprit 99% of the time, so the pros say. I just finished a complete rebuild with new triple disc TC, Transgo tugger hd shift kit, and Alto Eagle clutches. I hope Im out of worry zone!

Shane

2011 F250 Crew Cab FX4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

STOCK!
post #6 of 6 Old 11-30-2006, 07:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

WHATS UP SEA! CAN I CALL YOU THAT? WELL ANYWAY YOU SHOULD BE FINE INTILL YOU START PRODUCING LOTS OF TOURQE THEN YOU MIGHT WANT TO DO HARDEND INSIDES...... SEE I HAVE A FULLY BUILT BTS (BRIAN TOMPSON SHOP) TRANNY. EVERYTHING IN SIDE IS HARDEND AND IT HAS MORE CLUTCHES THEN NORMAL BUILT TRANNYS ALSO TIGHTER. I LOVE MY TRANNY IT IS THE BEST UP GRADE TO MY TRUCK YET..... BUT ANYWAY I WAS READING YOUR UP GRADES AND YOU SAY YOU HAVE A SHIMMING PLATE ON YOUR FULE PUMP? WHAT IS IT AND HOW DO I DO IT? I ALSO SAW YOU HAVE A HIGH PRESURE OIL BYPASS? WHAT DOES THAT DO? WHAT IS IT AND HOW DO I DO IT ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode