coolant loss on a 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 05:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
coolant loss on a 6.0

Hi guys, I'm new here. I have an '04 F350 with a 6.0. The EGR is deleted and it has a 4" exhaust, superchips flashpac tuner, zoodad mod and airaid air filter, nothing radical at all.

When ever I tow something, it uses a bit a coolant. The problem popped up a couple weeks ago when I towed one of a my Willys to PA from from Western MA. Since then, I've been checking the coolant level regularly. It seems to only loose it when the truck is working hard up hill. Normal driving it doesn't fluctuate. I've been reading a bunch on possible head gasket blowout, but mine doesn't have the degas puking. I read somewhere that it could be a loose intercooler connection or something such as that? The head gaskets really have me worried, so rather then jump the gun, I joined here to make sure.

On the trip to PA, it got hot once up a long steep hill on the highway. It never did it again and the temperature always stays where it normally is.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 05:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I also want to add, it still has good power and the weekend after, I towed my antique tractor a show and didn't use any coolant. Then yesterday, I towed my friend's plow truck and it used some.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would have the injector cups checked. They way it is done is that the tech will pull the Inj's and then pressurize the cooling system. Look inside the cup and verify the cups are serviceable or not. Also pressurize the cooling system and check for external leaks. This should actually be done first.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:48 PM

My 2005 seeks a level when I tow my 5th wheel (10,500 lbs). I marked the degas bottle at the level it seeks, it seems to stay there. The dealer said this is normal. Don't have any temp problems. Had the EGR cooler & oil cooler replaced about 10,000 ago, added a coolant filter. Temps stay in the 3 to 5 degree range between coolant & oil. Hope that helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.