Age old cold start even though it ain't cold - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 10:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Age old cold start even though it ain't cold

Hey guys, I have an issue with my 2003 7.3L. Down here in Texas it's 60+ at night. I still need to plug truck in for it to start. Not sure what to do abt it. Voltage at the GPR is at 12.46. Seems good to me. I did here recently change the o-rings on HPOP and noticed the wires that go to heating element in fuel filter housing were burned together. I separated these wires, wrapped in tape & went on about my chore. Could this be an issue as to why I'm still plugging this beast in @ night? What should be my next step? Thanks for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 05:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

A little help please. I guarantee my neighbors think my truck is electric.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
At 60 degrees, you don't need glow plugs at all. At anything above -20 you don't need a fuel heater. You have other problems.

How many miles on the injectors? As just a wild-***-guess, I'd wonder if they're just tired (because warming the oil, with the block heater, is needed). Anything above 250K and injectors become more likely.

Read this on oil & injectors -> http://www.swampsdiesel.com/files/7....Diagnostic.pdf

Of course, the best thing would be to get it on a professional diagnostic tool and monitor what's going on in the HiPres Oil System when you start (unplugged-in) to see if the problem is there or not. To me, the clue is that plugging it in has no effect on Fuel or other things like LPOP delivery to the HPOP.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank You NoRalPh. Sounds like it's an injector issue. I know of one instance where gasoline was put in tank by my dad. We drained what we could but I would imagine it did it's harm. I believe I will start with a compression test & have it scanned before I invest that kind of dollar amount. Does anybody have a good recommendation on injectors that will improve fuel economy just a bit. I'm not racing the truck so nothing too far away from stock? Thanks again.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:39 AM
Premium Member

Going to any single shot injector will give a little bit of economy, but you need tunes to run them, and gauges... altogether thats a 2000$ mod to be safe.

But working properly, 7.3's were designed to start unassisted ( not plugged in), a feat I regularily accomplish every winter.

Injector diagnostics suck, they are basically process of elimination in a lot of cases. You need to monitor/check everything else before throwing money at injectors. ICP values and duty cycle while cranking. CCT test, compression test, run with valve covers off to compare oil spouting, etc.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok. As you probably guessed this is my first diesel. I love the truck but I have a lot to learn. I'm guessing that when I get this resolved I will be able to blow smoke. Truck has yet to blow any other color than blue/white smoke. Maybe that's a tell tell sign of what's wrong. I will put it in to get some testing done next week. Will let y'all know what happens. Only 127k on the motor. Would hate to put it down so early. Thanks for everything.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WattsDiesel View Post
Ok. As you probably guessed this is my first diesel. I love the truck but I have a lot to learn. I'm guessing that when I get this resolved I will be able to blow smoke. Truck has yet to blow any other color than blue/white smoke. Maybe that's a tell tell sign of what's wrong. I will put it in to get some testing done next week. Will let y'all know what happens. Only 127k on the motor. Would hate to put it down so early. Thanks for everything.
hopefully it stays broke so u dont go around oraling coal , white smoke upon start up is normal ,
Old 04-17-2014, 05:28 PM
Premium Member

White smoke with temps at 60 is not even close to normal
Old 04-17-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlutzer View Post
White smoke with temps at 60 is not even close to normal
at first start up? ok then maybe theres a small problem with the gp's but that not related at all to his problem , mine does it all the time yet still runs flawless
Old 04-17-2014, 05:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah. Little history. My grandfather bought the truck in 03 for a ranch truck. Basically to haul gooseneck cattle. Trailer & hay hauler. 2 years ago one of our ranch hands had 14,000 lbs behind it & thought it was a good idea to keep the pedal on the floor. Burned the tranny. Story shortened. Oil & farm grade diesel is what this truck lived on. No other maintenance. I got it for a steal but wondering how bad this thing really is. Right now this truck gets 10 mpg. I think it should be better than that. Truck runs great but is a ***** to start. I guess what I really need to do is have the whole motor looked at. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.