Any East Coast Diesel Tech's? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2014, 11:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any East Coast Diesel Tech's?

Hey guys I'm wanting to back to school for Diesel technology but I don't know where to go. back in the fall of 12' I was on the UTI track but being fresh out of high school I had second thoughts.. I have heard great things about UTI but then some not so great things. I've heard of UTI techs being blacklisted for the name.. I've also heard about not getting assistance from instructors and poor quality instructors.. I toured the Mooresville campus and it was extremely flashy and looked like a great place.. so any UTI guys on here to clear this up for me? I'm also intrested in NADC as well but the whole idea of 1 year programs in general bothers me and at 23k for a chance of learning I'm skeptical. Have not visited the campus yet but my friend from hs just graduated as a Cummins tech and said he had a good time. I'm open to all ideas on school but I'd like to keep them around the south east area.Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014, 04:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I would not recommend it. If you want to learn, go to a dealer and start off changing oil, and when your free, help the techs and let them teach you. That 23k youd spend on school then add another 20,000$ for the cost of tools and your looking at 40k$ in debt to get a job. then if your lucky, will be making 20$hr FLAT RATE years later.

Go to medical school and get a job that pays hourly and also pays overtime....

This is coming from a diesel tech.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Scumbag For This Useful Post:
0360 (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 03:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
I would not recommend it. If you want to learn, go to a dealer and start off changing oil, and when your free, help the techs and let them teach you. That 23k youd spend on school then add another 20,000$ for the cost of tools and your looking at 40k$ in debt to get a job. then if your lucky, will be making 20$hr FLAT RATE years later.

Well this is dissapointing to hear.. I'm wanting to work on industrial diesel motors.. but 43k.. I could almost get a 4 year education for that. UTI offered me a promotion giving you 1300 for Snap On tools but lord that's a rachet and a few sockets.. I'm playing phone tag with a rep from NADC but thats still a 20k+ school and only thing i'd get from it is that its specialized in diesel.The local CC started a diesel program but when I took my welding up there I heard it wasn't up to par. So in your industry there is not a lot of room to progress? Besides moving up in the establishment. Ha wow I remember the old UTI pitch of 35 an hour after a few years.. But on the other hand I can think of how much money ill save by ACTUALLY knowing how to work on diesels. However thank you for your info i need the good and the bad.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post

I'm not a tech but the shop my buddy works at their lead tech who is fully ASE certified in all diesel certifications I think is around 20-25/hr and I believe he's been a tech for 20+ years. So scumbag doesn't seem far off. Also like I told someone else on here early this year (his was about what tools to have but same concept here) go to some local shops and talk to the management and let them know you're thinking about becoming a diesel tech and see if they have a few minutes to talk to you about what certifications they like to see and/or what schools they like to see on applications , REAL world hourly rates for starting techs and for seasoned techs, and any helpful info they might can give you before you jump into it. Worth giving it a shot IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.