Below 0F, Cold no start *sometimes* - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 05:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Below 0F, Cold no start *sometimes*

I have an 06 PSD with 166k, bone stock, that's having issues starting in the cold but it is sort of intermittent. I drove it 4 days ago in 10 degree weather, started fine. Then yesterday morning when it was -8, it would crank and crank but doesn't fire until about 5 seconds in but still doesn't start. I end up cranking so much that the batteries start getting low.

My starting process in the cold goes -
key on, wait until glow plug light goes off, cycle key off then on and wait for glow plug light to go off again (i just read that this wasn't necessary), then crank.
On the day it was 10 degrees out, the truck started within 2 secs of cranking.

I don't know if i have the inductive heating flash since I'm the 2nd owner but I've checked a few things.
FICM voltage is 49V, Injection control pressure was at 1499 psi during cranking *or before cranking, don't remember now*
After it started, the icp went down to about 1000 or so.

One thing I noticed was that the battery voltage was at 12.9 before key went on, then it dropped to 11.6 while waiting for glow plug light to go off, stayed at 11.6v once the light went off. I heard a little buzzing also...could this be the injectors cycling?

Running 15w40 oil also if that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 05:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Does it have a block heater? 15w-40 oil is like molasses at -8*.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes it does, but i'm not convinced it works. checked resistance between the two prongs to read ~15 ohms, left it plugged in for 4 hours and i didnt feel any heat anywhere on the engine. Stuck my hand up to touch the connector at the block but it was barely warm if at all.
Should I think about switching to 5w40 when it comes to the winter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cold start, ficm, icp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.