New 6.0 FICM and still no start? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2013, 11:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New 6.0 FICM and still no start?

I have a 2003 6.0 and about a week ago it spudered out and dieD. I put a (for the second time) a new FICM because I did the post test and it came back as not putting any voltage out of the post thats supposed to be 48v. The other which is supposed to be 12 was 6v. I did test the harness for power/grounds as well as the FICM relays and all tested good so I assumed thats what it has to be. Well I purchased one from Swamps and it still wo'nt start! I was always getting injector contribution errors (even with brand new injectors and tested plugs/harnesses) from the FICM (before it was replaced) so I assumed it was bad because it failed the same way the last time. I still have to scan it but since I borrow one I have to wait on it. Would a clogged IPR cause this? it just cranks and cranks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2013, 10:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What you should be looking at is the 6 Volt feed. The FICM will not work at that voltage. Back track that feed and see where it stops being 12 or 13 volts. Good Luck
Stan
Old 01-08-2014, 07:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It appears I had/have several issues. 1 Batteries or altornator is weak. 2. The FICM was bad (replaced it with a 58v. from swamps) 3. Fuel pump may be weak we are testing tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ahh man these trucks (engines) are bad by design. Everything from the heat destroying plugs, clips harnesses, to not being able to work on them without taking the cab off to do head work and .......well you know the rest. Why would any engineer mount all the electronics and connectors under the hood like this?????? Exposing them to outragous temps? Baffling????? Anyway I think I have a leak in the high pressure oil pump. What a POS
Old 01-11-2014, 06:52 PM
Premium Member

Too funny, I asked a mechanical engineer one time why nothing was easy to work on and that maybe they should of spent a lil time behind a wrench. His answer $$$$$$$$
Old 01-12-2014, 12:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Scanned it today and its not the ICP or IPR they tested fine. Its showing just under 500lbs on startup. It starts and never makes it past 700lbs so its either a high pressure leak or a bad HP pump. Gotta air test it now. My question is what if it doesnt leak air? Is it the pump then? How do I know at that point?
Old 01-17-2014, 08:59 AM

Since your truck is a 2003, it is more likely to be a pump. The early setup used a straight oil rail on each cylinder head and hoses to each for supply. The later builds were more prone to leaks at standpipes and dummy plugs. If IPR is above 23-24 percent at idle and continues to climb as the engine warms up, the pump is the most likely root cause. We have changed dozens of that style pump.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes, IPR goes to 85%. My question it if the pump is bad will it still leak with an air test? How do I 100% know its the HP pump? I am dumping this truck and don't want to put more into it than I have to. Its got 162k on it and I'v done nothing put pour $$$$ into a truck thats not worth the value (its an XL no power reg cab w the square lights)
Old 01-17-2014, 12:59 PM

Here is a simple test. Warm the engine to operating temp. Electrically disconnect all four injectors on either bank. Start the engine. It will likely run. Monitor your IPR duty cycle either cranking (no start) or idling (poorly). Record your IPR duty cycle and ICP reading. Plug in the four you just disconnected, and unplug the other four. Repeat your test, again, recording your result. If IPR duty cycle is SIGNIFICANTLY higher on one bank, you could have a potential leak. If your ICP seems much closer to normal, and the same on both sides, its a pump. Electrically disconnecting the injectors causes the spool valves to be stationary, and can no longer direct or vent ICP as they operate. And just like a corroded wire with two light bulbs on it, removing one will allow the other to operate more normally. If you have the block off tool, and feel like pulling valve covers, you can block off one side at a time and do the same thing. Since your 2003 has a J-tube style pump, STC/branch tube adapter issues are not applicable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.