ODB2 Error P131 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ODB2 Error P131

Hi,

First post for me.

I have a 1999 F250 with the 7.3 with just over 100K on it. My daughter just got her license and wanted to drive dads truck instead of the Camry. Anyway, she noticed it has been hard to start the past few mornings..low 20's for the temp. The other day it took me three tries to get it to fire. I noticed a bunch of gray smoke from the exhaust. eventually she started and she starts better with the core heater plugged in. Today she got the dreaded check engine light and the code is P1391 which translates to Glow Plug Circuit Low Input Bank 1. I called the parts store and they gave me a long list of possible causes. I was hoping to get some input from the forum. FYI after she is started up everything is fine. I also thought the other day I thought she sounded like she was a little louder than norm but I am not totally sure about that..thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to wvrrcarknocker
P1391 will set when the monitor indicates that all four glow plugs are not being powered on that bank. An open in the glow plug circuits, glow plug relay, glow plugs or monitoring circuit could be the possible causes. I'd try replacing the glow plug relay first, to be honest. After that i'd check your glow plug harness and see if its chafed or damaged anywhere for bank one. After that, i'd suggest checking your glow plugs themselves, but given its all four not getting power, its probably in the relay or harness. Also, if you get a moment, update your profile with a location, its easier for us to know if we're local and might be able to give some one on one help.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi, just updated my profile.

thanks for the info..I grew up in Raywick KY..the good old days. I will see what other posts I get and head off to the parts store.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to wvrrcarknocker
For what its worth, i'm no expert. I am just making educated guesses. The experts should be along shortly.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It is most likely the glow plug harness on that side or the harness is not plugged in well. They have been known to burn at the contacts also (where it plugs in at the top of the valve cover. Check that connection first, then if that is not the problem pull the valve cover then take the gasket and harness off the engine and ohm test each glow plug circuit. I think you will find the problem in one of those two checks. It is very unlikely to lose all 4 on one side at once and the relay will work them all or none.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ODB2 Error P1391

Thanks you everyone for your replies, I started with the easiest thing to replace which was the glow plug relay, and so far I have not had any check engine light come on..It has been several days so I think the issue has been resolved.

Thanks again, eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.