need help with my 2003 7.3 please!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 05:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need help with my 2003 7.3 please!!

My heat recently when so i Got under the hood and messed around with some wires. The ground cable that screws in to the passenger side right to the truck above my heater blower, it look like two wires and they go to what is believe is the intake manifold right in from of the turbo. sorry I'm a newb, well that ground cable broke so anyways when I started my truck to warm it up as it is -30 out, I thought nothing of it and about a half hour later my truck shut off. when I tried to start it again my battery was completely dead, so I jumped it and it started but when I took the cables off I had no dash lights and my wipers didn' t work then my truck shut off and the battery was completely dead again, I'm just wondering if that broken ground cable is the cause because everything was fine before that, I had to leave the truck at work and drive my cross shifts truck back, now I can't sleep because I am 1000km away from anywhere and don't want to think about the tow bill,

Last edited by zeggelaar; 11-19-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013, 06:21 AM
allergic to hot weather

Send a message via AIM to 95and05 Send a message via MSN to 95and05
From that brief description it sounds to me like alternator issues with weak batteries.
Blower will go out with low power then lights then truck. Charge batteries for a good while then start truck. After truck is running turn on headlights and disconnect positive cable from both batteries... if the truck dies you have no alternator power and this means limited drive time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-19-2013, 06:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Please edit your post with correct punctuation. I believe you may have just wrote the longest unfinished sentence in Guinness records.

Without it I dont know what wires your talking about. Are they separate wires, ground wires? Are they in different areas of the engine bay? Take a picture and post it. That will help a lot too and we'll get you back on the road.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey, thanks for your reply, but I like to think it's not the alternator but then again I'm not an expert. I have no access to battery charger, but I leave the truck running all night at work where it is so cold out, the truck was idling for close to 8 hours before I shut it off to have a look at the heater blower, and that ground cable I was talkin about snapped and after that I started the truck and it ran for a bit then died, would the alternator all of a sudden just fail like that and it be just a coincidence that I Broke that ground cable at the same time, which still isn't fixed yet I just wanted to check on here and see if that is why my truck all of a sudden is dead

Last edited by zeggelaar; 11-19-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I apologize for the incorrect Grammer as English is not my first language. I am trying to get used to this new phone as well I put commas when I mean to put periods. I will post a picture this evening. Thanks for the help and support.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey guys, Just an update. I put the ground wire back to where it should be and got it on there tight. I boosted the truck, the lights were a little dim at first but Its been running for an hour an a half now, Lights are back to normal. I shut it off to see if it would start again and it started no problem. So does this rule out an issue with the alternator?
Old 11-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yes.

The Following User Says Thank You to hucorey For This Useful Post:
zeggelaar (11-19-2013)
Old 11-30-2013, 05:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Glad you got the ground wire taken care of. If you're still having problems with your heater...check the heater control switch located in front of the passenger side firewall area. As I mentioned in your other recent post...these switches have a tendancy to get shorted out by ineffective water drainage at the rear of the passenger side of the hood. Water will leak through and short out the resistors for the heater/fan circuit.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you guys for all your help, I will check the heater control switch, if someone could maybe post a picture of it as I'm not firmiliar with 7.3's. I'm a newbie to this. But thank you all for the help much appreciated.
If it helps there is heat the comes out the vents but it doesn't blow out. I can get it out of any of the vents so im assuming that's that means it's not in default mode. If you check my other post I have a picture a vac line that has an elbow on it, it's black but it's disconnected from somewhere. I can't find anywhere where it might go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.