2002 7.3 problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 7.3 problems

I have a 2002 7.3L powerstroke with approx 103000 miles on it. When I start it the truck will run fine for about 10-15 minutes then quit. I have changed the fuel pump and fuel pump relay but that has not helped as it continues to do the same thing. Does anyone know what it could be? I would appreciate any help. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Premium Member

can someone help his member?

Bump
Old 11-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Either is running out of something important (like Fuel or Oil pressure) or an electrical component is crapping-out as it gets hot.

On a 7.3 the common failure for warming up is the CPS and that's where I'd start. Every 7.3 owner should carry a spare so, if you replaced it and it didn't cure the problem, your old one would be yours

They're not expensive, but I would Not buy an aftermarket one, goto Ford.

Next thing to consider is the Engine Oil. Is it Low? Is it in need of changing? (old foaming oil will do that)

In the end though, NOTHING is gonna beat a good scanner to monitor what's going wrong as it dies. Unfortunately, despite the OBD-II port, our trucks are Not, specifically OBD-II and the generic scanners (like the Parts Stores use) are of little use. You need a professional scanner to work right.

btw: you would have gotten many answers to this in the 7.3 Forums below, this is not really the right place to ask...
Old 11-30-2013, 04:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

2002 7.3 problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton2323 View Post
I have a 2002 7.3L powerstroke with approx 103000 miles on it. When I start it the truck will run fine for about 10-15 minutes then quit. I have changed the fuel pump and fuel pump relay but that has not helped as it continues to do the same thing. Does anyone know what it could be? I would appreciate any help. Thanks
I agree with NoRalPh. Very good chance it is a faulty Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) which is located just above the harmonic balancer at the engine front cover. Check to see if you're getting a voltage signal to your tachometer while you're cranking....your ECM gets it's tachometer signal from the CPS. If you're tach is dead when you're in a cranks-but-no-start condition...most likely culprit is a defective CPS.

This issue may not sow up as a DTC even when hooked up to a good quality scanner. I've had two go out over the last 8 years and in both situations there were no troublecodes present.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:18 AM

Yea, But,,,, on an '02, the tach is No Longer driven by the CPS (as it was on earlier trucks) and not supposed to move while cranking. This change occurred during the '01 run and effects 1/2 the '01s and All the 02's&3's
Old 12-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks NoRalPh. I was not aware of the change of the tach source. So just out of curiosity...where does the later '01's & up get thier tach input signal from?
Old 12-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Premium Member

Clinton?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton2323 View Post
What ever happened ?
Old 12-02-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank Some Heavy Metal View Post
Thanks NoRalPh. I was not aware of the change of the tach source. So just out of curiosity...where does the later '01's & up get thier tach input signal from?
Oh it's still from the CPS I'm sure!

At some point in '01 the electrical system went through an upgrade that included a redesigned Instrument Cluster (as evidenced by the addition of a Trans Temp Gauge there). The Tach in the cluster was no longer driven, as directly, by the CPS (either was the new TT gauge ). So you now got "interpreted" info the PCM wanted you to have, one of which was no tach reading during cranking.

The new cluster became more of a Module itself and actually replaced some of the GEM functions too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.