Gas Mileage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gas Mileage

I recently acquired a 2008 F350 with 65,000 miles on it that consistently returns 11.8 mpg, after purchasing a Econ tuner and reprogramming the computer my gas mileage increased to 15.6 mpg, in search of further gains I was told to increase the free air flow would return even greater mileage so I installed a K & N high flow air intake system but instead of having the desired affect my gas mileage was reduced to 13 mpg, has anybody ever run into this? any tips on increasing Mpg on this monster would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It's the emissions crap. Get a DPF delete pipe and a Spartan programmer. I'd recommend an AFE intake but since you already have an aftermarket one you should be fine. The two items cost around $1800 and I recommend River City Diesel because they're fast and don't screw things up. Keep in mind you can't run the truck without the DPF without the programmer. This should bump you up to 20 mpgs easy.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Do you know of any company in the Columbus Ohio area that I could get to do the work?
Old 10-20-2013, 04:19 PM

Found a company on google called columbus diesel supply. It looks like they have a performance division and they could install this system for you. If you can't find one, you get get the DPF off yourself and the new pipe on in about 2 hours or less. The programmer just plugs into the OBD II, super easy.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you coalroller I will call them tomorrow I absolutely love love love my truck, its the king ranch version with all the tricks, just thirsty
Old 10-21-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksumm View Post
Thank you coalroller I will call them tomorrow I absolutely love love love my truck, its the king ranch version with all the tricks, just thirsty
No problem man. Yep, they're thirsty trucks stock because of that exhaust filter cleaning crap. Let me know what you found out
Old 10-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Columbus diesel wouldn't do it, they said its illegal, I found a local company that will for about $3400 parts and labor, he explained that the increased airflow causes increase soot in the exhaust filter which apparently functions like the afterburner in a fighter jet and pumps raw diesel into a chamber that ignites the unburned hydrocarbons to reduce emissions output, so the increase soot requires more diesel to burn it off causing the decrease in fuel effeciency
Old 10-21-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Columbus diesel wouldn't do it, they said its illegal, I found a local company that will for about $3400 parts and labor, he explained that the increased airflow causes increase soot in the exhaust filter which apparently functions like the afterburner in a fighter jet and pumps raw diesel into a chamber that ignites the unburned hydrocarbons to reduce emissions output, so the increase soot requires more diesel to burn it off causing the decrease in fuel effeciency
Yes, its illegal and don't worry about getting caught unless Ohio has emissions inspections. My truck passes the Illinois safety inspection but luckily we don't have emissions testing. Is that $3400 with the Spartan programmer? Even if it is thats a lot of money for half an hour of work they could do it in. You could save $1400 doing it yourself even though its a pain in the ***
Old 10-22-2013, 01:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes $3400 does include the Spartan programmer he said that was the best on the market,I wish I had the confidence to do it myself but I am afraid it may exceed my mechanical ability
Old 10-22-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Yes $3400 does include the Spartan programmer he said that was the best on the market,I wish I had the confidence to do it myself but I am afraid it may exceed my mechanical ability
Haha, I don't blame you. That DPF and DOC has to weight about 150 lbs. You'll love your truck after doing it. It will have some wicked power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.