No Hot Start...How Much is This Going to Cost Me? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No Hot Start...How Much is This Going to Cost Me?

Ok, I have posted on here once or twice about this truck. This is where I'm at right now with it:
I have been fighting with this 2004 f350 with the earlier 6.0 engine in it ever since I bought it almost a year ago. Took it to a local diesel guy, he replaced the FICM, alternator, both batteries, cleaned the turbo (it also wasn't working), and replaced the ICP sensor. Still wont start after the engine is hot. Then he says it must be a high pressure oil leak. So he test drives the truck a bunch over the next 2 weeks, and says he cant get it to act up again - it starts right up every time. So we bring it home, go inside for 10 minutes, come out and turn the key....and it cranks and cranks and cranks...but will not start. Back to square one. So I called another diesel place and he said it definitely sounds like a high pressure oil leak. So I made an appointment to have it fixed. But my question is does anyone here know how much this will probably cost? He said they are at $65/hour in his shop. He explained everything to me on the phone, and I've seen videos on youtube of people finding the issue themselves, seems like an alright job if you know what you're doing. I have never done anything like this, and I have a brother that is a diesel tech, but doesn’t mess much with the smaller trucks like mine. So would we be better off letting someone else take care of it and spending a bunch of money, or trying to attempt it ourselves? Thanks a ton guys for any help. I'm stuck here and just want it fixed - without spending a bunch more money on it! Oh-forgot to add. We also changed the IPR valve ourselves. The old one that we pulled out was trashed, totally missing the screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 02:06 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

I'm not a 6.0 guru, but it sounds like the snap to connect(stc) fitting has broke. It will give this problem. Could be the hpop, but not totally sure. I'm sure someone else will come on and help you more

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-24-2014, 07:51 AM

Sounds like you have a high pressure oil leak. If your ICP sensor is on the valve cover, its a job 2 2004, if the sensor is on the HPOP cover, its a job 1, which is basically a 2003. JOB2: To check for a HP oil leak at the rails, I disconnect the injectors electrically so they cant push oil from their spill spouts. Have someone crank the engine while you inspect the areas under the injectors for leaking oil where they connect to the rails and the dummy plugs on the front of each rail. Reseal as needed. If you find no leaks, replace the STC fitting with the updated branch tube adapter and retest. JOB1: These trucks have the straight oil rails and rarely leak from them or their supply hoses. You can check them for leaks in the same way. If no leak is found, replace the HPOP, as these trucks do not have a STC fitting. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.